any recent developments for reports on mass mailboxes' message read / unread status?

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to get a report on several dozen’s mailbox messages read/unread status. So in other words:

Mailbox A: 45 total messages, 39 read, 6 unread
Mailbox B: 120 total messages, 7 read, 113 unread

Back in on prem exchange, I think there were some pretty straightforward cmdlets to get insight on this. With cloud mailboxes, my understanding is this has been deprecated.  Mainly just wondering if a cmdlet or admin console report exists at all that anyone has heard of?

I've searched these boards, don't see anything that is sure fire and ready to do, so thought I'd ask again here a year or two later.  Realize there is a handy template under main O365 admin area - Report - Usage - Email activity.  However, that appears to list reads more than once and only from 30 -180 day history; not a real time snapshot of x read, y unread at this time. 

We don't have Office 365 E5/A5/G5 or Microsoft 365 Enterprise E5/A5/G5 subscriptions, so that is probably not an option to do a MailItemsAccessed event audit.

2 Replies
If you are referring to the Search-Mailbox cmdlet, you can still use it in Exchange Online.
thanks Vasil, appreciate the reply, I'll also try Search-MessageTrackingReport