SOLVED

Value filters on multiple value columns in a Pivot Table

Brass Contributor

Greetings,

I know how to utilize the 'Value Filters' functionality in order to filter Pivot Table data. Is there a way to filter on the values in 2 separate columns?  I need my Pivot table results to show rows that have a counts >1K AND an Index comparison value <1.00.  Currently, I can only do one filter or the other, but not both - is there a way to do this?

Thank you!

6 Replies

@PatDools 

Does the attached sample file show your intended result?

Hi Oliver - thank you for the response, it is appreciated! If you are filtering on both the 'Count' and the 'Index' fields in order to limit the # of rows shown in the pivot table, then yes. I'm a little unsure as the values you show for 'E', 'Q', and 'S' don't add up to what is shown in the Source Table. But the general idea is to be able to filter the pivot table on both the 'Count' and the 'Index' fields in order to limit the # of rows shown in the pivot table. Don't hesitate if you need any further info. from me - thank you!

@PatDools 

After removing the filters from the pivot table all sums for all items in the pivot table add up to what is shown in the source table. Below is a screenshot for the unfiltered pivot table and the whole source table.

pivot table without filter.png

The screenshot below shows the filtered pivot table with filters for the count column and the index column (columns G and H). The filters are highlighted in yellow. Because there are filters applied for the pivot table the source table isn't shown completely. As you can see in the screenshot only rows 1, 5, 11, 12 and 16 to 32 are shown from the source table with these pivot table filters.

pivot table with 2 filtered columns.png

The items in the pivot table are limited to the rows with count greater 1k and index less than 1.

Thank you for the explanation. My question is how did you get filters on 2 different columns in the 'Values' section of the pivot table? I may be missing something, but I can only apply filters from the 'Item' column (in your example) - I can't apply additional filters to any columns in the 'Value' section of the pivot table. I can convert the pivot table to a regular table and apply filters on multiple values columns that way. How did you get filters to appear on multiple values columns within the pivot table?
best response confirmed by PatDools (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@PatDools 

In order to activate the filter for several pivot table columns i select cell I1 (or another adjacent cell I2 or I3 or...) with the mouse. In the screenshot you can see that I1 is the active cell. Then i select "Daten" (which is Data in english Excel) and then Filter.

activate filter multiple columns.png

Now there are filters for all columns.

result.png

Interesting workaround - I gave it a try and it did the trick. Thank you!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PatDools (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@PatDools 

In order to activate the filter for several pivot table columns i select cell I1 (or another adjacent cell I2 or I3 or...) with the mouse. In the screenshot you can see that I1 is the active cell. Then i select "Daten" (which is Data in english Excel) and then Filter.

activate filter multiple columns.png

Now there are filters for all columns.

result.png

View solution in original post