SOLVED

Using a Formula to Copy a Number to Many Sheets

Copper Contributor

Hi, my first post, I am using an older version of excel, professional plus 2016, windows 10.

(If you wonder why I am still using win 10, I have an i7 processor with 16gb ram, 1Tb hard drive, 4gb graphics card and when I try to install win 11, I am told my laptop can't deal with win 11. For some unknown reason, my processor is missing from the approved list ).

There are 5 numbers in my main sheet corresponding to Mon - Frid, they change every week.

I have a sheet for each week of the year. I used the formulas =SUM(WeeklyTotals!$D2)   =SUM(WeeklyTotals!$E2)  etc.. to copy these numbers to a sheet called week 1.

I want the copied numbers to be fixed. At the moment, when I change the weekly totals to week 2 for sheet 2, they change in sheet 1/week 1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Jim_Murray (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jim_Murray 

In your scenario, it seems like you want to lock in or freeze the values from one sheet onto another without them updating when the source changes.

Here is a way to do that in Excel 2016:

1. Copy Values Instead of Formulas:
    • On your main sheet (let's say "WeeklyTotals"), select the cells containing the numbers for Mon-Fri.
    • Right-click and choose 'Copy' or press Ctrl + C.
    • Go to the "Week 1" sheet or any target sheet.
    • Right-click and under 'Paste Special,' choose 'Values.'
    • This will paste the actual numbers rather than the formulas. Repeat this for each respective week's sheet.
  2. Using Formulas with Constants:
    • On each target sheet (e.g., Week 1), manually input the numbers or use formulas directly referencing the cells in the "WeeklyTotals" sheet.
    • For example, in the cell where you want the value for Monday:

=WeeklyTotals!D2

• This formula refers to the specific cell in "WeeklyTotals" and won't change even if the source data changes.

Using the 'Paste Special' method (copying values) or inputting direct cell references on each target sheet would ensure that the values are fixed and not linked to the original cells. This way, changes in the original sheet won't affect the values in the specific weekly sheets.

About Windows 11…

It's unfortunate that your hardware isn't listed as compatible for the Windows 11 upgrade. The Windows 11 system requirements include specific hardware specifications that the system must meet for the upgrade.

However, there might be a few reasons why your i7 processor isn't showing as compatible:

1. Processor Model: Microsoft has a specific list of processors that meet the requirements for Windows 11. If your i7 processor isn't on that list, it might be the reason why the upgrade isn't supported.
  2. TPM (Trusted Platform Module) Requirement: Windows 11 also requires TPM 2.0, a hardware-based security feature. Ensure that TPM is enabled in your BIOS/UEFI settings.
  3. System Firmware: Check for any firmware or BIOS updates for your system. Sometimes, an update might enable features necessary for Windows 11.
  4. Check System Requirements Tool: You can use Microsoft's PC Health Check tool to verify if your system meets the minimum requirements for Windows 11.

If your hardware doesn't meet the requirements and you're unable to upgrade, Windows 10 is still a fully supported operating system with ongoing security updates until October 14, 2025. It might be worth considering staying with Windows 10 until you plan for a system upgrade or replacement that meets Windows 11 requirements. The text was created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

Thank you, this helps a lot with my spreadsheet.

My laptop processor is not on the approved list. The laptop passes all other upgrade criteria..
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

@Jim_Murray 

Thank you for your feedback…

If your laptop's processor is not on the approved list for Windows 11, it means that Microsoft has determined that your device may not meet the minimum requirements for the new operating system. The processor you mentioned, the Intel Core i7-6500U, is from the 6th generation (Skylake) of Intel processors.

While the specific reasons for excluding certain processors can vary, Windows 11 has stricter hardware requirements compared to Windows 10. Some features and security enhancements in Windows 11 may rely on hardware capabilities that are not present in older processors.

If you want to explore further or if there are specific features in Windows 11 that you would like to use, you may consider checking for any updates from Microsoft or reaching out to their support channels for the latest information. Additionally, keep an eye on any announcements regarding changes to the system requirements for Windows 11 in the future.

I wish you much further success.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jim_Murray (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jim_Murray 

In your scenario, it seems like you want to lock in or freeze the values from one sheet onto another without them updating when the source changes.

Here is a way to do that in Excel 2016:

1. Copy Values Instead of Formulas:
    • On your main sheet (let's say "WeeklyTotals"), select the cells containing the numbers for Mon-Fri.
    • Right-click and choose 'Copy' or press Ctrl + C.
    • Go to the "Week 1" sheet or any target sheet.
    • Right-click and under 'Paste Special,' choose 'Values.'
    • This will paste the actual numbers rather than the formulas. Repeat this for each respective week's sheet.
  2. Using Formulas with Constants:
    • On each target sheet (e.g., Week 1), manually input the numbers or use formulas directly referencing the cells in the "WeeklyTotals" sheet.
    • For example, in the cell where you want the value for Monday:

=WeeklyTotals!D2

• This formula refers to the specific cell in "WeeklyTotals" and won't change even if the source data changes.

Using the 'Paste Special' method (copying values) or inputting direct cell references on each target sheet would ensure that the values are fixed and not linked to the original cells. This way, changes in the original sheet won't affect the values in the specific weekly sheets.

About Windows 11…

It's unfortunate that your hardware isn't listed as compatible for the Windows 11 upgrade. The Windows 11 system requirements include specific hardware specifications that the system must meet for the upgrade.

However, there might be a few reasons why your i7 processor isn't showing as compatible:

1. Processor Model: Microsoft has a specific list of processors that meet the requirements for Windows 11. If your i7 processor isn't on that list, it might be the reason why the upgrade isn't supported.
  2. TPM (Trusted Platform Module) Requirement: Windows 11 also requires TPM 2.0, a hardware-based security feature. Ensure that TPM is enabled in your BIOS/UEFI settings.
  3. System Firmware: Check for any firmware or BIOS updates for your system. Sometimes, an update might enable features necessary for Windows 11.
  4. Check System Requirements Tool: You can use Microsoft's PC Health Check tool to verify if your system meets the minimum requirements for Windows 11.

If your hardware doesn't meet the requirements and you're unable to upgrade, Windows 10 is still a fully supported operating system with ongoing security updates until October 14, 2025. It might be worth considering staying with Windows 10 until you plan for a system upgrade or replacement that meets Windows 11 requirements. The text was created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

View solution in original post