SOLVED

Turning off an Excel feature accidentally activated

Copper Contributor

I accidentally activated an Excel feature which causes the following result: When I move my cursor from the activated cell to another location on the page, the feature creates a large grey square the stretches from the original activated cell to the new location of the cursor. How do I turn this feature off?

(Because my files are automatically saved to OneDrive, I cannot get rid of this feature.)

Jimbo2024

7 Replies

@Jimbo2024 

Means you selected that range.

How do you move the cursor, by mouse or by keyboard. Do you keep pushed any mouse or keyboard button?

@Jimbo2024 

I tend to get that when I am using the VBA editor and hit F8 to evaluate the next VBA step.  If the focus is on the worksheet rather than the code window one finishes with 'extend range' rather than select new cell.  F8 is a toggle so, if it is that, clicking it a second time should revert to something more normal in terms of behaviour.

@Peter Bartholomew 

Thanks, Peter. I'll try that out.

Jimbo2024

I move my cursor by mouse. No, I do not keep any keyboard button switched on except NumLock a lot and occasionally CapsLock. The problem vanished as mysteriously as it arose but I would like to know how to activate the ability to "select a range". A baby question, I know. I will just look that up myself.
Jimbo2024

@Jimbo2024 

But mouse button is pressed?

best response confirmed by Jimbo2024 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jimbo2024 

I think the process for selecting a range is 

1. Select the top/left cell

2. Click F8

3. Click on the bottom/right cell to select the range

4. Press Enter to commit the formula and clear the toggle setting

Note: multiple range arguments can be inserted within a function because moving to the next parameter using "," will also clear the toggle.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jimbo2024 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jimbo2024 

I think the process for selecting a range is 

1. Select the top/left cell

2. Click F8

3. Click on the bottom/right cell to select the range

4. Press Enter to commit the formula and clear the toggle setting

Note: multiple range arguments can be inserted within a function because moving to the next parameter using "," will also clear the toggle.

View solution in original post