Tracking changes Options in Excel

Copper Contributor

I would like to know how can I block the Tracking changes option for nobody can deactivate it? because I activated it, but I don't want anyone to be able to deactivate it. Is it possible?

1 Reply

@Alex_Apolinario 

In Excel 365, there isn't a built-in feature that allows you to completely block users from deactivating the "Track Changes" option once it has been activated. However, you can take some measures to make it more difficult for users to disable this feature:

1. Protect the Worksheet or Workbook:
    • You can protect the worksheet or workbook to prevent users from making changes to certain elements, including the "Track Changes" feature. When you protect the worksheet or workbook, you can choose to allow certain actions while preventing others, such as formatting cells, inserting or deleting rows, and changing the structure of the workbook.
    • To protect the worksheet or workbook, go to the "Review" tab, click on "Protect Sheet" or "Protect Workbook," and follow the prompts to set the protection options.
  2. Password Protect the Workbook:
    • You can password protect the workbook to prevent unauthorized access and changes. By setting a password, you can control who can open and modify the workbook.
    • To password protect the workbook, go to the "File" tab, click on "Info," select "Protect Workbook," and then choose "Encrypt with Password." Enter a password and confirm it to apply the protection.
  3. Educate Users:
    • Provide training or guidelines to users on the importance of tracking changes and the impact of disabling this feature. Encourage them to use it responsibly and only disable it when necessary.
  4. Regularly Review Changes:
    • Regularly review the tracked changes and take appropriate action if necessary. By actively monitoring changes, you can detect any unauthorized modifications and address them promptly.

While these measures can help mitigate the risk of users disabling the "Track Changes" feature, it's important to note that they may not completely prevent it. Ultimately, trust and communication among users are key factors in ensuring the integrity of tracked changes in Excel.

The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.