Sumifs help- result " - "

Copper Contributor

Please see formula: 

Donna_Rye_1-1673632819958.png

Result: 

Donna_Rye_2-1673632889809.png

I can't seem to determine the error,  the data is a negative $, does that have an impact?

Thank you

3 Replies
I view that as a zero amount, not a negative.

Is it possible that the correct sum pertaining to Accessories is simply zero, either because there are not transactions at all for Accessories, or because the inflow and outgo are identical and therefore cancel each other out. It is significant that you are not getting an Error message. It may be a result you don't expect, but it's a result. So then the question becomes "Is the result correct?"

Are ALL of the results, on all rows, showing that same $ - result? That might suggest the formula isn't working as desired. But as noted, you're not getting an error message per se.

Thank you for responding, the sum should be a negative result, as the data is from a bank statement.  Will the Sumifs formula only give positive results?  I have the data formatted as accounting

@mathetes 

SUMIF will give negative results when those are correct. Because you're getting a blank--because you're NOT getting an error message--the only explanation I can offer without seeing the actual worksheet is that Excel is working properly, the formula is functioning properly, BUT the criteria are screening out all of the rows and so producing the answer "zero."

Try testing with a simpler, less extensive set of criteria. Take a smaller subset of the data, make the entries under the categories fewer words and ensure there are no typos in the rows of data.