SOLVED

Splitting a table taking one portion and putting it under the other via LET - file format changed

Brass Contributor

I am hoping someone can help.  I am running out of time and well out of skill.

The attached spreadsheet is a subset of a much larger one.  Essentially, the LET statement is very cool (DJClement) and I have modified it to meet the distributed pattern of columns I need to gather.  

The current LET formula produces a rows of en_CA, en and fr_CA where the information is duplicated for each of the locale types in as one wide table.  I need to get the French columns underneath the equivalent English ones. 

The list takes from a source worksheet and generates the output in a new worksheet.  

I have tried a few different ways, but have only had limited success.

This is a pic of the current output and the desired state below).

NotSoFastEddie_0-1716430424857.png

8 Replies
I can not open your attached file because it is a strict open xml.

@NotSoFastEddie Not sure if you saw my reply to your last inquiry found here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/take-a-series-of-rows-and-break-each-row-into-multiple-... where I used the REDUCE function to iterate through the 3 languages, as opposed to the TOCOL / IF / SEQUENCE method, in order to return different columns for "fr_CA".

If you didn't like that method, please try the newly attached file below, where only the 2 English languages {"en_CA";"en"} are used to repeat the English columns, and the French columns are then stacked below it...

Sorry DJ, I opened the file splitthedata_needhelp2.xlsx and it is the same as what I posted. I don't see your fix. Could you please check and re-send.

@peiyezhu Thanks for responding, I replaced the file in the original post and added it to this reply.

@NotSoFastEddie Check it again and look closely. I just redownloaded both files (your original and my version) and they are not the same. I made the changes to the formula directly in cell A2, so the "current state" results match the "desired state" that you hard-keyed below. Scroll to the right and you'll see the results only go to column U in my file, whereas the original file goes all the way to column AM. Compare the files side-by-side and the differences will be obvious.

@djclements  Thanks again.  Merged it into the big spreadsheet and it works beautifully.  At least I was on the right path with what I was attempting, just getting some weird results.

That wraps it up for this spreadsheet.  Want to thank you for all your help - could not have done it without you. 

@NotSoFastEddie 

You appear to be sorted but, just for the record, I appeared to be making some progress by searching the header row for English and French data fields.

= LET(
    enColIdx,  XMATCH(desiredHdr, header),
    frenchIdx, XMATCH(desiredHdr & " FR", header),
    frColIdx,  IFERROR(frenchIdx, enColIdx),
    rowIdx,    SEQUENCE(ROWS(body)),
    stacked,   VSTACK(INDEX(body,rowIdx,enColIdx), INDEX(body,rowIdx,frColIdx)),
    FILTER(stacked, TAKE(stacked,,1)<>"")
  )

best response confirmed by NotSoFastEddie (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Peter Bartholomew - thanks for taking time to look at.  I am good - finally - so many people happy now - but me more than any of them.  I need to go back to my solution architect role.....

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by NotSoFastEddie (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Peter Bartholomew - thanks for taking time to look at.  I am good - finally - so many people happy now - but me more than any of them.  I need to go back to my solution architect role.....

View solution in original post