searching for a word in columb and pulling up the first referenced cell

Copper Contributor

Good day,

Normally I can excel and figure this out, but I found myself in a situation that nothing seems to take or work.  I need help.  I am trying to create a tracker at work that will reference our current part numbers on hand against a sheet that reflects any changes to part numbers and spit out the result in the cell next to the part number on hand.  (to simplify: I want to reference columb G for a part number in a row on columb A and spit out whatever is in the cell in columb G that mentions the part number.) 

The issue I am facing is that the sheet I am trying to reference to does not list Part Numbers on their own and instead has all the info in a columb in sentence format.  The sentences are not standard with some stating part number, PN, not saying part number but having the number, referencing one or multiple parts that changed. 

Michael_Gorske_0-1675475418936.png

I have had some success with  =LOOKUP(A112,SEARCH(A112,$G$4:$G$8003),$G$4:$G$8003).  The problem is, it only works if the PN is all numbers.  It will not work if the PN has letters or special charecters.

1 Reply

@Michael_Gorske 

=INDEX($G$4:$G$8003,MATCH("*"&A112&"*",$G$4:$G$8003,0))

An alternative could be INDEX and MATCH.

index match.JPG