Search/Find

Copper Contributor

How to delete a group of numbers next to names in a list (where the numerals can be from one to nine) e.g.

000000000|The First Time Group

000000000|The Second Time Group

000000000|The Third Time Group

000000000|The Fourth Time Group

4 Replies

@jdecreative 

How to delete a group of numbers next to names in a list (where the numerals can be from one to nine) e.g. ... (examples not copied)

If you're by any chance waiting for an answer, you will note that you've had quite a few views without any responses. The reason: your posting doesn't fully make sense.

You've got a string of nine zeroes in front of each set of words, divided from them by "|" (a vertical line).

You say the numerals that you want to range from 1 to 9 (zero, of course, is not within that range; so are you saying there may be anywhere from one number up to nine numbers, or something else? 

In any event, if that vertical line is always present, separating the digits from the text that you want to remain, then a formula could be used quite easily--in a separate column--regardless of the number of digits

=RIGHT(A3,LEN(A3)-FIND("|",A3))

mathetes_0-1713823784683.png

@jdecreative 

As variant,

Select the cells you wish to separate the text. Go to the Data tab, Text to Columns, select Delimited, click Next, select Other and write "|", select Finish.

You will have two separated columns, one with the numbers (which you can delete if you wish) and another with only the text.

@jdecreative To add to the collection:

=TEXTAFTER(A1,"|")

where A1 contains a text string like "000000000|The First Time Group".

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/textafter-function-c8db2546-5b51-416a-9690-c7e6722e90b4 

@Riny_van_Eekelen @jdecreative @MAngosto 

As always, there are multiple ways to get from problem to solution in Excel. And (to me) a reminder that there are always new, more efficient, ways being created. My use of RIGHT and LEN is an old school solution; TEXTAFTER is a newer one, so I'm thankful to @Riny_van_Eekelen for that introduction. :smile: