Scroll Bar Drag issues in Excel and Word

Copper Contributor

When I perform a scroll-bar drag (left click-hold with mouse point on the scroll bar, then drag) in Excel or Word, the document screen doesn't change until I release the scroll bar (release the left-click button).  The scroll bar moves and the document DOES SCROLL, but not "in real time".

Scroll-lock is not the issue.

The scroll bars are visible, so that isn't the issue.

Freeze panes is not the issue.

None of the internet resolutions for this resolve the issue.

I can find no options in Excel that seem to suggest a solution and none that I've tried affects the result.

This affects all documents, newly created or existing.

The same operation in Edge (and many other non-Microsoft Office applications) scrolls the view as expected ("in real time"), but not in Excel or Word.

I'm using a logitech trackball, with no drivers installed, so I don't have a mouse wheel for scrolling.  The behavior is the same when I use the laptop track-pad.

I have Microsoft365, which was installed a month ago.  This behavior pre-dates that install (I've had the issue since the laptop was issued to me 6 months ago).

Thank you for assisting.

2 Replies
few potential solutions you can try:

Check for Updates: Make sure your Microsoft Office applications are up to date. Sometimes, updates include fixes for performance issues like this.

Disable Add-ins: Sometimes, third-party add-ins can cause issues with performance. Try disabling any add-ins you have installed and see if that improves the scrolling experience.

Graphics Driver Update: Ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date. Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can sometimes cause display issues in applications like Excel and Word.

Check for Background Processes: Other background processes running on your computer could be consuming resources and causing the delay. Check Task Manager to see if any processes are using a lot of CPU or memory.

Change Display Settings: Try changing your display settings, such as screen resolution or scaling, to see if that makes a difference.

Disable Hardware Acceleration: In Excel and Word, you can try disabling hardware acceleration to see if that improves performance. Go to File > Options > Advanced, and then under the Display section, uncheck the box next to "Disable hardware graphics acceleration."

Repair Office Installation: If none of the above solutions work, you can try repairing your Office installation. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features, find Microsoft 365 in the list, and then select "Repair."

@Excelonlineadvisor 

This is a corporate laptop, so I am very limited in what I can do.

The IT dept has been contacted and has no idea what to do.  They have consulted the internet as one would expect.

The PC is regularly updated.

There are limited add-ins, but as mentioned, I can't really do much about this on my own.

Again, a new PC, so I expect the graphics to be reasonably up to date. 

Background processes?  This happens all the time on different machines (like, different MFRs, different IT depts, for-the-reals different computers).  Unfortunately, I don't have access to the other machine (it is at my former employer's facility).  However, it also had the same problem at first install, no add-ins.

Display settings have no effect.

Hardware acceleration: I don't see that option in my installation.

Repair: Why would it be broken when newly installed?  In any case, I can't do that on my own.

I appreciate the time, but please ask yourself, "Why does Edge scroll correctly, but Word or Windows doesn't???"  What is different between these applications (both from Microsoft) which could lead to this issue?  Are there ini file settings that could impact this?

This is just annoying, so I don't expect much help, but that makes it even MORE annoying.  Enough so, that I am happy to use LibreOffice on my personal computer even tho it has quirks of its own.  It generally works, and the scroll definitely works.  However, I'm stuck with Office 365 on the work computer.