problems editing the payput table

Copper Contributor

i’m having problems editing the payment table, how do i view edit history that hasn’t been saved via cellphone

i really hope anyone can answer this problem

6 Replies

@dindasophie 

i’m having problems editing the payment table, how do i view edit history that hasn’t been saved via cellphone

i really hope anyone can answer this problem

If they could, they'd be a mind reader.

I mean to be saying that kindly: it's not really clear to the reader of your message what you're referring to. You mention a "payput table" in the title, but a "payment table" in the more complete sentence. Then you talk about "history that hasn't been saved," which raises the question "If it hasn't been saved, how can it be there to be edited in the first place??!!

So could I (we) ask you to back up and give a far more complete description of what you're talking about.

@mathetes sorry typo, I had problems editing the payment table about a month ago, I edited it via cellphone and when I checked this morning it turned out that the changes I made were not saved. 

i feel in big trouble because this is the organization's cash payment table

@dindasophie 

I had problems editing the payment table about a month ago, I edited it via cellphone and when I checked this morning it turned out that the changes I made were not saved. 

Unless your phone  version of Excel is set to autosave (via something like Microsoft's OneDrive) there's not much you can do to retrieve that which you didn't save in the first place. (At least, I'm not aware of anything that could retrieve that.)

i feel in big trouble because this is the organization's cash payment table

Do you not have current and continued access to the raw data you used to make those changes in the first place--I assume a set of transactions of payments made or received? If so, you could certainly go and do it again, perhaps more cautiously--especially if you're on a phone!--saving as you go. Wouldn't the organization want to retain those source data items in the first place, for potential audit purposes, etc.?

I have OneDrive autosave but I only find Microsoft Word file backups.

but can I see the changes regarding who has paid the organization cash in an excel file whose changes are not saved?

@dindasophie 

but can I see the changes regarding who has paid the organization cash in an excel file whose changes are not saved?

I believe your question answers itself. When changes aren't saved, they're not saved. 

Back to my earlier question of you: is there no record of the information you were using when making those additions to the file? You had to be getting the information from some source; what was it? Can it be retrieved, recreated, whatever.

Also, I know that when I use Excel on my phone, or on my iPad, the changes I make do show up in the "recently changed" list of files when I open Excel on the desktop or laptop computer. That is to say, maybe they're saved in a place known only to Excel...but one of the other apps (iPad or PC) might know. Beyond that, there's no other suggestion I would have. 

ok... I am very grateful for the response and input, it really helps me, at least it makes me relieved.

I will learn from my mistakes and be more careful in the future, thank you again!