Pivot table Values on Mac

Copper Contributor

Hi, so i am missing the pivot table value filter option of "not between". i need it for an assignment but there doesnt seem to be an settings page to enable filters, and i am at the current newest version of excel. Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 10.09.40 AM.png

6 Replies

@Autumn5420 How odd! I hadn't discovered this yet (never had a need for this feature), but it seems that the 'Not between...' filter only exists in the Windows version (see picture). 

Riny_van_Eekelen_0-1705831464773.png

In a regular Excel table filter you can combine the 'Less than' with an OR 'greater than' to achieve the same, but that's not possible in a Pivot Table filter.

The only way I can imagine to achieve this on a Mac is to create a calculated field. Name it 'NotBeween' with a formula similar to the picture below. change the 'Value' field and limits to your specific needs.

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 11.24.35.png

Then place the NotBetween field into the value area of the pivot table and filter it for the value 1 (being TRUE). I attach the file that I used in the example.

it seems that the 'Not between...' filter only exists in the Windows version and Online/Web

Sample.png

@L z.  @Autumn5420 Now it becomes really odd. I created a workbook on-line with the filter 'not between', saved it and then opened in the desktop on a Mac. Then I did see the 'not between' option when I filtered a value column.

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 17.11.15.png

Closed Excel and created a new sheet. Same result. It seems you must right-click on a label from the Row field and then choose Value filter. Now you can choose 'is not between'. Didn't see that earlier. ???

@Autumn5420 

The Automate tab on your picture indicates you run 365 on your Mac. Below is an alternative that routes the data Table to Power Query and pre-filter the records according to the 2 parameters (in blue) on the sheet:

Sample.png

Of course this has a cost as it requires an aggregration (what PivotTables do) in Power Query to filter out [States] that are Not Between x and y

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Wow, not very intuitive + Nice investigation!!!

From your point of you should I then delete the Power Query alternative I just posted?

@L z. Just leave it I would say. No harm with extra options.