SOLVED

NO NAME MANAGER IN EXCEL ONLINE

Copper Contributor

When I get to know that there is no name manager in excel online, I got a shock by this. Now tell me how to name formulas and ranges without the name manager?? 

27 Replies

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Hi Riny.  I will have to try this; I must admit that I had wondered whether the AFE would be usable but hadn't got around to testing it out.  Without a Name Manager the online version of Excel is unusable; it allows me to achieve nothing of interest.

I could still do with form controls but, with a bit of luck, the new check marks at least will find their way online in order to provide at least a limited level of interactivity. 

@Peter Bartholomew Can't see why it wouldn't work. The only bit that seems to be missing is that you can't set the scope (ws or wb) of a Name. Haven't tried yet to create some of these on the desktop and see how they come across in the AFE on line.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

yes, AFE doesn't support worksheet scope, doesn't matter online or offline. Names with worksheet scope are not shown.

Excel for web doesn't show names with worksheet scope in name box of another sheet. However, if type in formula it converts it to something like Sheet1!local and it works.

A number of companies, small and large, no longer want users to store data on their PCs. They want it all in the cloud, for very good reasons: when an employee leaves the company, migrating their data to someone else is easy; when an employee is OOO, allowing others to access the latest data is easy; when you want to revert to an earlier version, this is very easy (provided your cloud provider enables this - flee from any who doesn't).

So recommending to use a desktop version in the age of Internet is akin to saying that Microsoft is so stuck in the 80s (last millenium) that it will never evolve. I hope this isn's true.

@bouvierjr 

These are different things. I also keep all my data on the cloud, but prefer to use desktop client working with located on the cloud files.

In the age of internet Desktop client is quite good integrated with the cloud, in general local storage could be needed only to work with temporary files. However, mapping is more reliable.

@Riny_van_Eekelen

Riny_van_Eekelen's reply refering to the add-in "Excel Labs" is very helpful.

Having searched all over the Internet,  I feel the discussion here is valuable.

To provide some icing on the cake, I would like to share another blog post illustrating how to install and use this add-in "Excel Labs."

The blog post is here:

https://dashz.substack.com/p/name-manager-in-excel-online 

@Riny_van_Eekelen What and where is this define name window you speak of?

@-mdmd 

This is an old thread that started by asking where the name manager sits in Excel On-line. At the time there was no such thing in the on-line version. Then the discussion moved to using it the desktop version on a Mac. And that's how my answer got marked.

If you are still looking for the name manger in Excel on-line, there isn't one. But you can install the Excel Labs add-in and do all sorts of neat things nowadays, including naming ranges. Although it looks nothing like the traditional name manager you find in the desktop versions. See my posts from 4 and 8 March above.