My Cursor appears as a white cross

Copper Contributor

White cross cursor driving me crazy - cannot seem to get rid of it and edit cells, etc. Outside of the Excel sheet my normal arrow cursor works just fine. Back onto a workbook sheet and the white square cross appears and I am unable to function and edit cells, etc (quite unsure what this icon is and why it appeared suddenly. Have tried Googling - nothing that I understand but it looks like LOTS AND LOTS of users have the same problem with no helpful suggestions that seem to work.

Used to work just fine until that darned cross appeared effectively blocking my ability to use the Excel.  

6 Replies

@Dave_P-939 

Do you happen to have Find box, or other kinds of prompt open in a minimised window, or in another workbook, and you forget to close it?

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 5.49.30 PM.png

Hi Rachel; Thanks for the reply. I don't see anything else open. I was able to get around the situation by double clicking on a cell and was able to enter my info. I'm still stuck with the white cross though:(
Great job solving the issue by yourself!
To get to the bottom of this, do you still recall the last time you see everything is "normal" in excel, and what changed between then and now?
It's about a week since I last worked on this sheet. The only change is the cursor went from an arrow to a white cross. I can now enter things without the double clicking so it is acting as a regular cursor. Do you know how I would get to cursor settings? I might be able to select a new cursor (arrow).
Thanks
Is there such a setting in Excel?