Mathview function (xl-viking)

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I just saw the math functions (add-ins) from the site http://xl-viking.com/audit-excel-formula-examples/ where you can show equations with symbols and values, beside just showing the calculated value. This seems like a very good way to ease the review process of a design sheet containing many variables and equations. A function that I've been looking after for a long time. 

However, at my company, we are not allowed to download add-ins that are not included in the usual Excel portfolio. So my question is if there is an existing add-in in Excel similar to the one provided by xl-viking that I've missed? 

Regards,

Albin

7 Replies
If the add-in is useful to you, why not make your case that you really need it?
Do you have access to the Insert, Add-ins button (the button may also be on the File tab) on the ribbon?
I wish it was that simple. It is extremely hard to get our company to allow a new program, add-in,... The add-in from xl-viking is an exe-file, so I won't be able to use that.

Many in our company use Mathcad due to the simple review of equation systems, which I probably end up doing as well. I've created a lot of design sheets in Excel, hence why I wanted to find a solution for this.

I have access to Insert > Get Add-ins (empty) and Insert > My Add-ins, if that is what you refer to?

But you don't know of an Excel add-in that show formulas with symbols (a,b,c,...) instead of cell-references (A1, A2,..) and also show inserted values (e.g. 5*2-4) instead of result (e.g. 6)?
My reftreeanalyser add-in comes close, but since you are not able to DL add-ins, that isn't of any help to you. Although, my add-in is a 'plain' xlam file so if you can find a way to transfer an xlam file to your system you're good to go!

@peiyezhu, that is a good idea thanks!

I guess I won't be able to show the equation with inserted numbers, but at least I can show formula with symbols (names) shown. 

Usually I work with design sheets in columns, where I compare different configurations to find the best one. I give a simple example below, but usually the equation systems are rather long. 

abbe1992_0-1701420642873.png

If I apply name here, I assume that I will need to distinguish the names in each column, i.e. for each configuration. Normally when I set up the equation system in one column, I just drag the column to the right and change the input parameters and its done. With names I assume that I need to do some more work, designing L1,L2,L3 , W1,W2,W3 and H1,H2,H3? 

abbe1992_1-1701420814742.png

I assume that I can use "Create from Selection" and "Create Names from values in the: Left Column" to minimize  the work. But when I try to do this with C2-C5, I get the following error message:

abbe1992_2-1701421087680.png

Regardless if I select C2:C5 or only C2. 

Using this command I thought that I could automatically Name C2:C5 "L1", "W1", "H1" and "V1", instead of manually defining the name for each cell. 

Do you see anything wrong with this approach? 

Appreciate your input. 

instead of manually defining the name for each cell.

if you apply formula like C2-C5,you should define the name for each cell.

if you provide your raw workbook file and expected result,more guys maybe interested in joining the discussion.
Because I am not clear what you want in detail.

if your layout like
parameter config
par1 config1
par1 config1

maybe easy to have a batch handle

@abbe1992 

You can name the input cells, but:

• So far as I know, the cells must be named one-at-a-time.  That's tedious.
  • Excel will not allow you to use names like L1, W1, H1… because those names would be interpreted as cell addresses. OTOH, L_1, W_1, H_1… could be used.
  • A probably-serious disadvantage of naming the cells individually is that you cannot take advantage of Excel's intrinsic ability to modify impacted formulas when you copy cells.

But if you are willing to store your data entities one-per-row (rather than one-per-column, as in your sample data), you can put such data into an Excel table.  You can then write formulas (one for each table column) that reference the column names, and there are other advantages.  Formulas that reference Excel table data use structured references (like [@Height]) rather than cell references (like D4).

Of course, in either case, you can do simple manipulation of the result of the FORMULATEXT function yourself. See the attached workbook. (My examples are intentionally verbose.  One or more could be shortened and/or defined as a named formula(s).)