Macros and VBA

Copper Contributor

I am taking an online course for macros.  When I try to download a sample worksheet for the course, I receive the message: "Security Risk. Microsoft has blocked macros from running because the source is untrusted."

Is there any way I can get around this?  Thank you for your help.

5 Replies

@dapper49 
change macro setting in trust center under File tab.

1. Go to the File tab and select Options.
  2. Click on Trust Center, then choose Trust Center Settings.
  3. In the Trust Center, select Macro Settings.
  4. You’ll find several options:
    • Disable all macros without notification: Macros and security alerts are disabled.
    • Disable all macros with notification: Macros are disabled, but security alerts appear if macros are present.
    • Disable all macros except digitally signed macros: Unsigned macros are disabled, but signed ones run.
  5. Make the selections you want and click OK.

Rr__0-1709171715636.pngRr__1-1709171792928.png

@dapper49 Microsoft has recently beefed up their security settings for macro-enabled workbooks that were downloaded from the internet. Even if you've applied the appropriate Macro Settings in Excel Options, the old "Enable Content" security warning does not appear, but rather it's been replaced with a new "Enable Editing" button that does not actually enable anything...

Excel Security WarningsExcel Security Warnings

The easiest way to bypass this warning and restore the old "Enable Content" security warning is to locate the file in File Explorer, right-click on the filename and select "Properties". Check the security box at the bottom to "Unblock" the file, then click "Apply" and "OK". Open the file again and you will be prompted according to your Macro Settings.

File Security PropertiesFile Security Properties

Alternatively, you can also create a "trusted" folder on your computer where you can save downloaded files that you trust. This can be done in Excel by going to File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings... > Trusted Locations > Add New Location...

@Rr_ 

Thank you.  I tried all of your suggestions.  When I try to run the macro in the file, I receive this message:   

"Cannot run the macro "Vigorous-VBA-Lesson-1 etc.......". The macro may not be available in the workbook or all macros may be disabled."

So I am still stumped.

@djclements Thanks for your help.  I must be doing something incorrectly re the trusted location, as I still cannot use the macro in the downloaded file.

Microsoft is telling me that macro is unavailable to this workbook, or all macros are disabled.

I have several spreadsheets where I made macros to sort lines of data.  These still work, so I am at a loss.