Looking to use table data to influence formatting of cells on separate tables.

Copper Contributor

I am looking to change the formula that my spreadsheet is using to colour certain cells using data that can be found in the table.

If you would like to the look at it as a file, there is a google drive link at the bottom of the post which had the file in it.

My current formula reads as followed:

=AND(NOT(ISBLANK(A1)),INDEX(Sheet2!$E$2:$E$100,INT(ROW(A1)+1)/2)="brn")

Which is very close to working however, I would like the formula to only colour A1 and A2, on Sheet 1( as seen below), brown instead of the entire row, and then do that with all of the couple cells in Sheet 1 so that the spreadsheet reads column E on Sheet 2 (seen below) and changes the colour of the cells based on the colour on the same row as the data.

Thank you in advance.

DamascusOne_0-1714942060138.png

DamascusOne_1-1714942075160.png

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Jp-JGAfPEWuAXs5pTFaolGm4rQqAN7Uq?usp=sharing

6 Replies

You've had 70 views (and counting) with zero replies. I doubt if anybody could help without seeing the actual workbook. Is it possible for you to post that on OneDrive or GoogleDrive, pasting also a link here that grants access?

I suspect also that a more complete description of what you're seeking to achieve will be needed.

@mathetes I have updated the post to contain the file, which also has a more direct description/ directions of the goal i would like to attain.

Thanks

As Hans has written, you need to post a link that grants access. This one says we need to request access, so it's incomplete.

@DamascusOne 

See if this is doing what you want. It's frankly not clear what you're doing and why. I took my lead from this portion of your original post.

My current formula reads as followed:

=AND(NOT(ISBLANK(A1)),INDEX(Sheet2!$E$2:$E$100,INT(ROW(A1)+1)/2)="brn")

Which is very close to working however, I would like the formula to only colour A1 and A2, on Sheet 1( as seen below), brown instead of the entire row

I will say that Conditional Formatting is often elusive, requiring a lot of trial and error. Since you were close to what you wanted to begin with, I'd encourage you to just keep playing. All I changed were the cells to which the conditional formatting was to be applied.