Is it possible to display a "helper" column but not print it?

Brass Contributor

Hi!

I have a worksheet that prints one page 8 1/2 x 11 landscape format.

I need to insert a new column A and have it display but not print (so that the rest of the worksheet still prints to 8 1/2 x 11 landscape). The cells in this new column will have dropdown lists that the user will select from so the user needs access to the cells in the column.

I read that I could set a "custom view" but then I read that because another worksheet in the same workbook has a table, "custom view" isn't available for any worksheet in the workbook.

I can select the cells that I want to print and choose "Print Selection" but as soon as a different cell(s) is selected the print function then wants to print the newly selected cell(s).

Somehow I need to set it up so that the user can make the selections from the dropdown lists in that first column, hit print, and everything but that first column prints.

Is this possible and if so, how would I accomplish it?

Thank you so much!!

2 Replies

@DianeDennis 

Select the range that should be printed (excluding column A).

On the Page Layout tab of the ribbon, in the Page Setup group, click Print Area > Set Print Area.

Oh, perfect!

Thank you so much, Hans!!

I went round and round with this yesterday but I kept trying it using the Print command rather than Page Layout.

Thank you so much!! :)