importing, transforming and exporting csv files

Iron Contributor

I wonder if someone could help me.

I am trying to export all my Outlook 2016 contacts into Excel 2016 so that I can manipulate them easily and then import them back to Outlook 2016.

Enclosed please find the file (contactos20210208.csv) that I get when exporting contacts. As you can see Spanish special characters are not taking in consideration.

Then I expand cells into 93 colonies, I add or correct data and save it back as a CSV file (contactos20210208b.csv).

When I try to import it into Outlook, it does not recognize anything at all.

Thanks in advance, Juan

1 Reply

@juan jimenez 

Export contact data

You can export your address book to Excel as follows:

Open the Contacts module.

In Outlook select the command File → Import / Export. In Outlook, go to File → Open → Import.

Select Export to File and click Next.

Select Microsoft Excel as the file type and click Next.

Select Contacts and click Next.

Specify where and under what name the Excel file should be saved and click Next.

Click Map Fields. Check whether the fields from Outlook are correctly mapped to the fields in the Excel table. The assignments usually match. If not, simply drag one of the fields from the left window into the corresponding field in the right window. When you are finished, close the dialog with OK.

Click on Finish to generate the Excel file.

Edit data with Excel

Open the contact information file in Excel. Typical inconsistencies, assignment errors and different spellings can be quickly identified in the table.

Once you are done editing, save the Excel file and close it.

Import contacts again

Export the changed Excel file

Call the command File → Import / Export in Outlook or File → Open → Import.

Select Import from other programs or files and click Next.

Select Microsoft Excel as the file type and click Next.

Select the Excel file. Under Options, select Replace duplicates with imported items.

Then click on Next.

Select Contacts as the destination folder and then click Next.

Click Finish to import the data.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.