SOLVED

=IF Formula - The statement value is not stored as a number.

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I am pretty amateur with excel and trying my best with googling all possible solutions but i am coming up short. 

I am using formulas to format that if an employee works 6  days then they are given a £90 bonus, and if they work one day they are given a £50 bonus. 

I have an =IF formal in place that if the selected cell says 6 days it will input £90 into the cell I require. And vice versa.  That £90 is then needed to be added up in a =SUM formula to give me a sum of two cells.  However as the £90 not a value is will not add up in the =SUM formula. 

Is there another way around this? 

2 Replies
best response confirmed by WyreMarine (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@WyreMarine 

There may be many ways to address this. If you could attach a sample document without sensitive data we may be able to share a more accurate solution depending on the structure of your document. However, as a quick solution;

Would it be possible for you to use:

=IF(A1=6,SUM(B1:B5)+90,SUM(B1:B5))

Being A1 the cell indicating how many days an employee works and range B1:B5 the range you want to apply the SUM function. I believe you may save an unnecessary step with this solution.

@MAngosto Thank you so much much! I have played around this this formula to suit and it has worked! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by WyreMarine (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@WyreMarine 

There may be many ways to address this. If you could attach a sample document without sensitive data we may be able to share a more accurate solution depending on the structure of your document. However, as a quick solution;

Would it be possible for you to use:

=IF(A1=6,SUM(B1:B5)+90,SUM(B1:B5))

Being A1 the cell indicating how many days an employee works and range B1:B5 the range you want to apply the SUM function. I believe you may save an unnecessary step with this solution.

View solution in original post