SOLVED

How to use GetPivotData on data model Pivot Table

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am having a hard time using GetPivotData on my pivot table. I've followed online guides. The difference between my pivot table may be that the original tables are added to data model (so I can use a function to calculate median). My pivot table rows each correspond to a unique serial number, with a number of properties per serial number. I want to be able to enter a serial number, and populate the associated properties. 

=GETPIVOTDATA("[Measures].[Median UT]",$A$3,"[BatchTensileData].[Work Order-Batch #]","[BatchTensileData].[Work Order-Batch #].&[123456789-01]")

I'd imagine I could just highlight the SN cell (a cell where I manually input a SN I wanna pull data for - M4) for the "item 1" entry, but cannot seem to make it work.

But changing "item 1" out with my cell gives me a Ref error.

=GETPIVOTDATA("[Measures].[Median UT]",$A$3,"[BatchTensileData].[Work Order-Batch #]","[BatchTensileData].M4")

=GETPIVOTDATA("[Measures].[Median UT]",$A$3,"[BatchTensileData].[Work Order-Batch #]",M4)

Even changing out only the SN part and keeping the earlier "BatchTensileData" reference results in a ref error.

=GETPIVOTDATA("[Measures].[Median UT]",$A$3,"[BatchTensileData].[Work Order-Batch #]","[BatchTensileData].[Work Order-Batch #].&[M4]")

Any ideas? 

Thanks for your help

5 Replies
best response confirmed by SC713 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @SC713 

That should be:

=GETPIVOTDATA(
  "[Measures].[Median UT]",$A$3,
  "[BatchTensileData].[Work Order-Batch #]",
  "[BatchTensileData].[Work Order-Batch #].&[" & M4 & "]"
)

Carefully look at how the concatenation is constructed to "encapsulate" the value of cell M4 between the last brackets

(If you would use CUBEVALUE this would be the same syntax)

@SC713 

As a side note in case you're not aware. GETPIVOTDATA retrieves values that display on a PivotTable, couple of examples below:

Sample.png

In F3 & G3 we want the Total Value for Product A. It doesn't display on the PivotTable ==> #REF with GETPIVOTDATA. On the other hand we get it with CUBEVALUE

In F6 & G6 we want the Total Value for Product A and Date = Jun 1, 2023, no problem. However if we collapse Jun in the PivotTable:

Sample2.png

Corresponding sample attached

@L z. 

That was very helpful. I was able to do what I needed to. Thank you

@SC713 

Glad this helped & Thanks for posting back

If you don't mind please mark as solution to help those who search - Thanks

Thanks @L z. . I had a similar question and thanks to you I have solved this issue. It was driving me crazy. Regards

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by SC713 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @SC713 

That should be:

=GETPIVOTDATA(
  "[Measures].[Median UT]",$A$3,
  "[BatchTensileData].[Work Order-Batch #]",
  "[BatchTensileData].[Work Order-Batch #].&[" & M4 & "]"
)

Carefully look at how the concatenation is constructed to "encapsulate" the value of cell M4 between the last brackets

(If you would use CUBEVALUE this would be the same syntax)

View solution in original post