How to replace part of one cell with part of another cell?

Copper Contributor

I need like a skilled concatenation with the photo below: Column DC lists the order of skill position players from left to right (so any variation of WR, TE, HB, or FB; there will always be five of them total). In column DD you can find which player was at which position (it's listed in parentheses); each player is delineated by semicolons in both columns. So for example in row 2, player TB 13 is playing the LWR position, and as such is represented by LWR^ in column DC.

I want to create a new column that eliminates the non-skill players from each column DD cell (so I want the QB, LG, RG, C, LT, and RT players gone), then combines the column DC data into the column DD data as shown in the examples:

• using row 2, the new column would be this: TB 13 (LWR^); TB 14 (SLWR); TB 07 (HB); TB 88 (TE-iR^); TB 84 (TE-oR)
  • Row 3 would turn out: TB 14 (LWR); TB 13 (SLWR^); TB 07 (HB-L); TB 84 (TE-R^); TB 06 (RWR)

Also the rows with nothing in column DC can be ignored. Thanks!

unnamed (1).jpg

1 Reply

@bscy9 

Could you attach a small sample workbook demonstrating the problem (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar?