How to repeat date (dd/mm/yyyy) for x amount of rows, then the following day for the next x rows...

Copper Contributor

Feels simple enough, I have an excel file with employee data, and want to assign each employee an assessment date. There are alot of employees (around 6000). I want every 210 employees to have the same assessment date, then the following 210 employees to have the next day for their assessment (ideally using Egyptian business days). Is there a way to do this quickly?

Side note: the 6000 employees are also divided by department, so the number used above (210) is only used for the larger departments. Smaller departments will have smaller batches per assessment days and each department has its own sheet in the workbook. In the aggregate sheet, can I filter by department and assign assessment dates?

Assume the dates are to be put in column K

Consulting999_0-1690962146306.png

9 Replies

@Consulting999 

Enter the first assessment date in K2.

In K3, enter the formula

=WORKDAY.INTL(K2,IF(MOD(ROW(K3),210)=2,1,0),7)

210 is the number of times to repeat - you can change this for other departments.

7 specifies Friday and Saturday as weekend days. If you have a list of public holidays, you can use

=WORKDAY.INTL(K2,IF(MOD(ROW(K3),210)=2,1,0),7,HolidayRange)

Fill down to the last used row.

Hi Hans, thank you for your response; for some reason i am getting an error value when using either of these formulas. The value is written in the date format, what you think the issue may be?
Hans you are a lifesaver. If i were to change the number of rows, do I only switch out the 210 or is the portion with 2,1,0 also relevant? Thank you so much

@Consulting999 

You only need to change the value 210 to for example 70 or 100.

Everything is working fine, except in cases where i manually enter dates for the first x rows (10, for example) and then want to implement the formula. For some reason, when using the formula with 75 as a divisor instead of 210, assuming the first 10 rows were copied manually, and I enter the formula in the 11th, it only repeats that first date for 25 rows, then the next dates are spread correctly (i.e., every 75 rows) if that makes sense. Not sure why that's happening.

@Consulting999 

Could you attach a small sample workbook demonstrating the problem (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar?

@Hans Vogelaar You will see I highlighted the August 20th dates, because that's the first time the formula appears in the sheet (the previous dates were added manually because they didn't match the 75 rows, they are all less than that so doing it manually for the first couple of days was easier). August 20th dates were obtained using the formula, but there are only 25 of them, then the remaining ones until the end of the sheet all respect the 75 employees rule. Hope that makes sense

@Consulting999 

The formula that I posted assumed that the first formula would be in row 3. It works differently if the first formula is lower down.

The original formula had MOD(ROW(K3,210)=2 because you want to go to the next date in row 2, 212, 422, 632 etc.

Now, you want to go to the next date on row 127, 202, 277, 349 etc. Those row numbers leave 52 when divided by 75: 127 = 75+52, 202 = 2*75+52, etc. So the formula in D128 should be

=WORKDAY.INTL(D127,IF(MOD(ROW(D128),75)=52,1,0),16)