SOLVED

How to Remove Password from Excel Sheet ?

Copper Contributor

I have an Excel sheet that has a password protection feature enabled. However, I have forgotten the password and I cannot access any of the data within the sheet. I need to remove the password from Excel sheet so that I can access and modify the data within it. I have tried various methods such as guessing the password, using online tools, and even using a macro to remove the password. However, none of these methods have been successful so far.

Therefore, I am looking for advice on how to remove the password from Excel sheet so that I can continue to work on the data within it. Thank you in advance.

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Jackery998 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jackery998 

Hello, sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle! Bummer about forgetting that password, but hey, we've all been there. Let me see if I can help you out. :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Alright, so if the usual tricks didn’t do the trick for you, let's try another method:

RemovePassword-ProtectedSpreadsheet-1.jpg

Removing Excel Password via Zip Technique:

1. Backup First!: Before we dive in, always make a backup of your Excel file. Just in case things go sideways.

2. Change Extension:

• Find your Excel file in File Explorer (wherever you saved it).
    • Rename the file extension from .xlsx to .zip. For example, if your file was named superSecretData.xlsx, rename it to superSecretData.zip.
  3. Dive into the Zip:

• Open the newly renamed .zip file.
    • Go to the xl > worksheets folder. Here, you'll see a bunch of files corresponding to the sheets in your Excel file, like sheet1.xml, sheet2.xml, etc.
  4. Find & Delete Protection:

• Open the .xml file that corresponds to the protected sheet with any text editor (Notepad will do).
    • Look for a tag that looks something like this: <sheetProtection ... />.
    • Delete that entire tag.
  5. Back to Excel:

• Once you've removed the tag, save and close the text editor.
    • Rename the .zip file back to .xlsx.
  6. Open & Celebrate:

• Open your Excel file. The sheet should be unprotected now!

If this method doesn't work you can also try third-party tool like Dr.Excel:

https://www.iseepassword.com/blog/how-to-remove-password-from-microsoft-excel-password/

find_excel_password_1.jpg

I hope this helps you out. Remember, passwords are there for a reason (mostly to annoy us, I swear! ;p), so once you've unlocked your sheet, maybe jot down any new passwords somewhere safe. Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jackery998 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Jackery998 

Hello, sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle! Bummer about forgetting that password, but hey, we've all been there. Let me see if I can help you out. :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Alright, so if the usual tricks didn’t do the trick for you, let's try another method:

RemovePassword-ProtectedSpreadsheet-1.jpg

Removing Excel Password via Zip Technique:

1. Backup First!: Before we dive in, always make a backup of your Excel file. Just in case things go sideways.

2. Change Extension:

• Find your Excel file in File Explorer (wherever you saved it).
    • Rename the file extension from .xlsx to .zip. For example, if your file was named superSecretData.xlsx, rename it to superSecretData.zip.
  3. Dive into the Zip:

• Open the newly renamed .zip file.
    • Go to the xl > worksheets folder. Here, you'll see a bunch of files corresponding to the sheets in your Excel file, like sheet1.xml, sheet2.xml, etc.
  4. Find & Delete Protection:

• Open the .xml file that corresponds to the protected sheet with any text editor (Notepad will do).
    • Look for a tag that looks something like this: <sheetProtection ... />.
    • Delete that entire tag.
  5. Back to Excel:

• Once you've removed the tag, save and close the text editor.
    • Rename the .zip file back to .xlsx.
  6. Open & Celebrate:

• Open your Excel file. The sheet should be unprotected now!

If this method doesn't work you can also try third-party tool like Dr.Excel:

https://www.iseepassword.com/blog/how-to-remove-password-from-microsoft-excel-password/

find_excel_password_1.jpg

I hope this helps you out. Remember, passwords are there for a reason (mostly to annoy us, I swear! ;p), so once you've unlocked your sheet, maybe jot down any new passwords somewhere safe. Good luck! :four_leaf_clover:

View solution in original post