SOLVED

How to merge data in excel from a master sheet to several sheets? (Microsoft 365)

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am working on an end-of-year compensation project and need some suggestions to make this project easier and error-free.

I have a master Excel sheet that has employees by ID#, names, and all their compensation data.

I have created a template on the second sheet that will need to be populated for each employee with their annual compensation from the master sheet.

Since there are 650+ employees, typing the data manually will take forever.

I can't figure out how to use VLOOKUP for this task. All videos I found show how to merge data from multiple sheets to one, not the other way. Is there a way Excel can automate populating all employee individual sheets with data from the master sheet?

Thank you very much in advance.

6 Replies
You need VBA to automate this tasks.
best response confirmed by Rich1945 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
In the first cell where you want the compensation data on the employee sheet, use the following formula:

=VLOOKUP(A2, 'MasterSheetName'!$A$2:$Z$1000, 2, FALSE)
Adjust the ranges and sheet names accordingly. This formula looks up the ID# in the master sheet and retrieves the corresponding compensation data.

Drag/Fill Formula:
Drag the fill handle (small square at the bottom-right corner of the cell) down to copy the formula for all employees. Excel will automatically adjust the cell references.

Repeat for Other Data:
Repeat the process for other compensation data columns by adjusting the column index number in the VLOOKUP formula.

Data Validation (Optional):
To prevent errors, consider using Data Validation to ensure that each employee's ID# on their sheet matches the master sheet.

@Harun24HR Thanks but I am not familiar with VBA.

Not sure this is what I need in terms of the tasks in question.
Thank you SO MUCH! This is exactly what I was looking for! I just did it and it worked. Apparently, the "FALSE" command had a huge role in here as I was getting the wrong data without it when I was trying it. I followed the same process for all the cells I wanted filled with specific data. After finishing the first sheet for the first employee, I will just make copies for the remaining employees and the data of their sheets will follow their unique IDs. Thanks so much again!!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rich1945 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
In the first cell where you want the compensation data on the employee sheet, use the following formula:

=VLOOKUP(A2, 'MasterSheetName'!$A$2:$Z$1000, 2, FALSE)
Adjust the ranges and sheet names accordingly. This formula looks up the ID# in the master sheet and retrieves the corresponding compensation data.

Drag/Fill Formula:
Drag the fill handle (small square at the bottom-right corner of the cell) down to copy the formula for all employees. Excel will automatically adjust the cell references.

Repeat for Other Data:
Repeat the process for other compensation data columns by adjusting the column index number in the VLOOKUP formula.

Data Validation (Optional):
To prevent errors, consider using Data Validation to ensure that each employee's ID# on their sheet matches the master sheet.

View solution in original post