SOLVED

How to combine 3 pairs of data

Copper Contributor

I have a puzzle that feels like it should be solvable with a fairly straightforward solution, but so far I'm stumped.

We have 3 datasets for a series of clinical trials: Contacts, Trials, and Sites

Those datasets work together in pairs:

• Contacts coordinate Trials (Contacts can coordinate multiple Trials, and multiple Contacts can coordinate a single Trial)
  • Trials take place at Sites (Trials can take place at multiple Sites, and multiple Trials can take place at a single Site)
  • Contacts are associated with Sites (Contacts can be associated with multiple Sites, and multiple Contacts can be associated with a single Site)

Is there a way to use Excel to identify Contacts, Trials, and Sites in every possible combination?

Though I'm not certain this was the right approach, I started down the path to create a many to many relationship model in Power Pivot, but I eventually hit a roadblock - not knowing what to do once the connections between the tables were established.

A teammate has suggested that nested VLOOKUPs might offer a solution, but I have yet to head down that path.

If you have any recommendations for how to accomplish this, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

5 Replies

@Adam_Kaye 

Attached is a sample with 3 input Tables and a query (Power Query) that lists all possible combinations. Probably not what you want but with what you shared it's hard to figure out what's ultimately expected :)

If you need more help with this, please share (i.e. with OneDrive) a workbook with representative data sets + a few examples of what you expect

@L z. - Thank you very much for your response.

I'm attaching the file now so you can see how the data is collected in pairs.

I'm just looking to populate the 3rd column ("Trial") on the 1st sheet ("Contact-Site") based on the relationships in the 2nd ("Contact-Trial") and 3rd ("Trial-Site") sheets.

The duplicates are the complicating factor, but I'm sure there's a way to accommodate them.

Thank you again for your help.

best response confirmed by Adam_Kaye (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Adam_Kaye 

Thanks for your sharing. Don't get me wrong but I also asked + a few examples of what you expect. You know exactly what you expect, on my side I'm note sure. This potentially leads to a waste of time on both sides :( Attached is a 1st attempt - see sheet TEMP - based on my understanding that could be wrong...

The duplicates are the complicating factor, but I'm sure there's a way to accommodate them

Easy to say :) Again you know why they exist and what you expect so you'll have to explain/give examples as I can't guess

Hope this all makes sense

@L z. - Thank you again for your response.

What you produced looks great. How did you do it?

Hi @Adam_Kaye 

I cleaned a bit the file for easier reading, please download the attached version

How did you do it? With Power Query

1. Formated your 3 data sheets as Excel Tables, respectively named them ContactSite, ContactTrial & TrialSite
  2. Loaded them to Power Query as Connections only
  3. First merge (= query MergedOnTrial) between ContactTrial & TrialSite on their respective field [Trial ID], then expanded field [Site ID]
  4. Second merge (= query MergedOnContractSite) between ContactSite & MergedOnTrial on their respective field [Contact ID]+[Site ID], then expanded field [Trial ID]

To follow:

• In Excel, go to Data (tab) > Queries & Connections. The corresponding pane opens on the right

Sample.png

• Double-click on a query name (Power Query Editor opens)
  • Click on each step in the APPLIED STEP box:

Sample2.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Adam_Kaye (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Adam_Kaye 

Thanks for your sharing. Don't get me wrong but I also asked + a few examples of what you expect. You know exactly what you expect, on my side I'm note sure. This potentially leads to a waste of time on both sides :( Attached is a 1st attempt - see sheet TEMP - based on my understanding that could be wrong...

The duplicates are the complicating factor, but I'm sure there's a way to accommodate them

Easy to say :) Again you know why they exist and what you expect so you'll have to explain/give examples as I can't guess

Hope this all makes sense

View solution in original post