SOLVED

How do I skip the "IF" formula to count items that are late vs on time when finish date is blank?

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to have my "IF" formula return a blank cell when the "Actual Finish" date is missing. Right now, the formula I'm using is showing those lines as "on time" when they are not completed yet.  See sample data and formula in pic below.

Thank you for your support!

Shawn

OnTime vs Late.jpg

4 Replies

@Shawn_Morin 

=IF(C2="","",IF(C2<=B2,"on time","late"))

This works in my sample sheet.

best response confirmed by Shawn_Morin (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Shawn_Morin 

To modify your IF formula to return a blank cell when the "Actual Finish" date is missing, you can add an additional condition to check if the "Actual Finish" date cell is blank. Here's how you can adjust your formula:

=IF(C2="", "", IF(C2<=B2, "on time", "late"))

In this modified formula:

• The first IF function checks if the "Actual Finish" date in cell C2 is blank. If it is, it returns a blank cell ("").
  • If the "Actual Finish" date is not blank, the formula proceeds to the nested IF function.
  • The nested IF function then checks if the "Actual Finish" date (C2) is less than or equal to the "Planned Finish" date (B2). If it is, it returns "on time". Otherwise, it returns "late".

With this modification, if the "Actual Finish" date is blank, the formula will return a blank cell instead of evaluating whether it's on time or late. The text was created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

Thank you very much for the explanation. I appreciate you very much!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Shawn_Morin (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Shawn_Morin 

To modify your IF formula to return a blank cell when the "Actual Finish" date is missing, you can add an additional condition to check if the "Actual Finish" date cell is blank. Here's how you can adjust your formula:

=IF(C2="", "", IF(C2<=B2, "on time", "late"))

In this modified formula:

• The first IF function checks if the "Actual Finish" date in cell C2 is blank. If it is, it returns a blank cell ("").
  • If the "Actual Finish" date is not blank, the formula proceeds to the nested IF function.
  • The nested IF function then checks if the "Actual Finish" date (C2) is less than or equal to the "Planned Finish" date (B2). If it is, it returns "on time". Otherwise, it returns "late".

With this modification, if the "Actual Finish" date is blank, the formula will return a blank cell instead of evaluating whether it's on time or late. The text was created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

View solution in original post