How do I disable sounds?

Copper Contributor

Greetings, I do not want any sounds from Excel. How do I turn them all off?

13 Replies

@Audre575 Perhaps you have "Provide feedback with sound" enabled. Switch it off. In my version it's located under Options, Accessibility. Other version may refer to it as "Ease of access".

Riny_van_Eekelen_0-1649239818546.png

@Audre575 

Select File > Options.

Select Ease of Access or Accessibility in the navigation pane on the left.

Clear the check box Provide feedback with sound.

Click OK.

@Hans Vogelaar 

Thanks for your help. I did what you said and I still have sounds when I delete an item in Outlook or do something in Excel. So annoying. I have unclicked everything that I can find where there is a sound notification. What's next? Thanks for your help. Audre

@Audre575 

In the Sounds tab of the Sound control panel in Windows, scroll down until you see the Exclamation sound. Set it to None.

S1290.png

Thanks, best advice ever. @Hans Vogelaar 

@Hans Vogelaar 

hi Hans, thank you very much. The last piece of advice eliminated the sound when I close an Outlook message. For that, I thank you very much. I still get a sound here and there....Is there anything else I can disable? Audre

@Audre575 

If you want to turn off ALL sounds, including the beep you get when an error occurs, select 'No Sounds' from the 'Sound Scheme' dropdown.

Alternatively, scroll through the list of Program Events. Any event that has a sound assigned to it is displayed with a loudspeaker icon. If you want to disable it, select that program event and select (None) from the Sounds dropdown (it is right at the top of the dropdown list).

Don't forget to click OK when you're done.

S1944.png

@Hans Vogelaar 

Thank you; done. I haven't heard any sounds this morning! So far so good, and thank you again, Audre

How do you make it stop on a MAC? The sounds in all the Office 365 programs are ANNOYING!

Thanks a lot, I haven't heard any sound since I did your step@Hans Vogelaar 

I am having the same issue. If I enter "1234" in cell, I receive the voice sound "1234". I have tried the recommendations on this thread (e.g. turned off "provide feedback with sound", proofing, accessibility,) but it won't turn off. Other suggestions?

@Bow27B 

That is the "Speak Cells" feature.

Option 1:

• Click the drop-down button on the right hand side of the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT).
  • Select 'More Commands...'
  • Select 'Commands Not in the Ribbon' from the 'Choose commands from' drop-down.
  • Scroll down the list of commands until you see the 'Stop Speaking' command.
  • Select it, then click 'Add >>'.
  • If you wish, you can also add the 'Speak Cells...' command if you want to turn it on again later.
  • Click OK.
  • You now have one or two new buttons on the QAT: on to turn Speak Cells off, and perhaps also one to turn it on.

HansVogelaar_0-1699719470067.png

Option 2:

• Press Alt+F11 to activate the Visual Basic Editor.
  • Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window.
  • Type or copy/paste the following line into the Immediate window:
Application.Speech.SpeakCellOnEnter = False
  • With the insertion point anywhere in that line, press Enter.
  • Close the Visual Basic Editor.
  • Speak  on Enter should now be disabled.

@Hans Vogelaar thank you this was driving me crazy and your fix worked.