Help managing data input and individual feedback in an education setting

Copper Contributor

I am a teacher of children from the ages of 11 to 18. I want a spreadsheet to work in the following way. I want each student to enter some data, the data is then processed and the student receives some individual feedback. Each spreadsheet will contain data and feedback for 300 students, 100 pieces of data entered 3 times a year for 5 years and will link to other spreadsheets that will be used in compiling the feedback.

I want teachers to have access to the whole spreadsheet to facilitate their planning and monitoring. I want the student’s data to be private from other students and also, to prevent students from messing up everyone else’s data. I imagine a client sheet for students that would have cells for them to enter their current set of data. This data would be used to populate the relevant part of the master spreadsheet which would calculate the feedback and return this to the client sheet for the student to see.

I have already made this for my own classes and have evidence that it is having an impact on learning. I am looking for advice on scaling it for use across the school. In particular, I’m looking for advice on how to implement server-client set up I describe. Or is there a better way of achieving the aims I set out at the start of the second paragraph? I’m not terrified of using some VB code to achieve this but I’m not a professional so go slowly. To use the spreadsheets the students will already have logged on to our managed learning environment with a Microsoft loggin.

2 Replies

@Rob_Combley 

You could help us help you by posting a copy of what you do have already--changing names and places to protect the innocent. Post it on OneDrive or GoogleDrive with a link pasted here that grants access. When you talk of scaling it, it becomes all the more important that the design itself be robust, and your verbal description doesn't give insights into that aspect of the task.