Getting reid of cell references in part of Excel worksheet in order to enter data in cells

Copper Contributor

I try to put numbers in cells and after putting in the equals sign I get a cell reference.

3 Replies

@Robert_Decker Can you post some examples of the type of information you wish to write in the cell?

If you start with typing an apostrophe, you can type anything into the cell and Excel will know it is to be treated as text. Alternatively, before typing anything, format the cell as Text (right-click, Properties, select the Text entry in the list of number formats).

@Jan Karel Pieterse 

I am analyzing my Visa bills, which I have done forever without any problem (I had my current problem once before but I can't remember how I solved it it). I am trying to type numbers but I get a "reference" to another cell in the spreadsheet, say NR10 when I type the equals sign.

I want to type numbers in these cells to add up the expenses for food or whatever in my Visa analysis spreadsheet in Excel.

Thanks for any help you can give me; this should be the easiest problem to solve but I can't find the solution in the Excel manual or on the web.

PS I'm not trying to delete a "function" in the cell, but a "reference" to another cell in the worksheet.

@Robert_Decker 

Thanks for your help. I inadvertently somehow turned off the "Num Lock"; when I then used the key pad (rather than the keyboard) to try and put in numbers things got screwed up.

Now all is well.