Freese cell rows and columns in Excel

Copper Contributor

I want to freeze cells so rows and columns do not move when scrolling through a sheet. Example: If I have selected cell F4 and choose [freeze panes], is it possible to move through the sheet with columns and rows from F4 remaining locked? When I attempt this and scroll horizontally through the columns, the rows and columns remain locked at F4. However, if I scroll vertically, the rows remain locked at F4  while the rows in columns A-E continue to scroll. Is there a way to freeze the panes so I can scroll through the rows in columns F--- while the rows in columns A-E remain frozen?

1 Reply

@rhbaker7701 

In Excel, you can achieve the desired effect of freezing panes while allowing scrolling through specific rows and columns by using the "Split" feature. The "Freeze Panes" option only allows freezing rows and columns up to the selected cell, which is why you're experiencing the described behavior.

Here's how you can use the "Split" feature:

1. Select the Cell:
    • Click on the cell F4 (or any cell in column F and row 4) where you want the split to occur.
  2. Split Panes:
    • Go to the "View" tab on the Excel ribbon.
    • In the "Window" group, you will find the "Split" button. Click on it.
  3. Adjust Split:
    • After clicking "Split," you'll notice a bar that separates the frozen panes from the rest of the sheet.
    • You can adjust the split by clicking and dragging the bar horizontally or vertically to the desired position.
  4. Scrolling:
    • Now, when you scroll through your sheet, the rows and columns to the left and above the split point will remain frozen, while you can freely scroll through the other parts.
  5. Removing Split:
    • If you want to remove the split, you can go back to the "View" tab and click on the "Split" button again.

Using the "Split" feature provides more flexibility in terms of freezing specific rows and columns while allowing scrolling in other parts of the sheet. It should meet your requirements for freezing the panes at F4 while scrolling through other rows and columns. The text/steps was created/Translate with the help of AI.

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.