Format Cells

Copper Contributor

When I format cells in numbers or currency, the result displayed is incorrect. It works alright if I select 1 or 2 decimal places, but if I select 3 or more decimal places, the result is wrong. For example, selecting 3 decimal places, and enter 1.555 if actual displays 1555.000

Any suggestion?    I'm using Window 10.

3 Replies

@Brian_Ashley 

It seems like you might be encountering a display issue rather than a calculation issue. When you format a cell to display three decimal places, the value should still be 1.555, but it's showing as 1555.000. This could be due to the default settings of your Excel.

Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Check the Cell Value:
    • After entering the number (e.g., 1.555), check the actual value in the formula bar. It should still be 1.555.
  2. Adjust Decimal Places:
    • After entering the number, select the cell or range.
    • Right-click and choose "Format Cells."
    • In the Format Cells dialog box, go to the "Number" tab.
    • Choose "Number" or "Currency" and set the desired number of decimal places.
  3. Excel Options:
    • Go to the "File" tab and select "Options."
    • In the Excel Options dialog box, go to the "Advanced" tab.
    • Scroll down to the "Editing options" section.
    • Make sure that the "Automatically insert a decimal point" option is unchecked.
  4. Regional Settings:
    • Check your computer's regional settings.
    • Sometimes, issues with decimal separators can occur if your computer is set to a region that uses commas instead of periods (or vice versa).
  5. Number Separator:
    • Ensure that you are using a period (.) as the decimal separator.
    • Go to the "File" tab, select "Options," and go to the "Advanced" tab.
    • Under "Editing options," ensure that "Use system separators" is selected.
  6. Update Excel:
    • Ensure that you are using the latest version of Excel. Updates may include bug fixes that could address display issues.

If the issue persists, there might be some specific settings or configurations on your system causing the problem. The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.

@NikolinoDEThanks for your prompt reply to my decimal point problem.

I have checked all the things that you have suggested and the settings were all correct, but I still have the same problem. Could there be a problem with the system registry, which might have got changed without my knowledge or during a Window 10 update?

In the Format Cells box, the fault is in the Number and Currency sections. If you click on a box in a spreadsheet with numbers or currency displayed correctly in it, then right click on Format Cells to show that cells existing format, the Sample shown at the top of that page displays incorrectly. For example: the cell contains the amount 8.000.00 €, but the sample shows 8.000.0.00 €. This is causing errors if I want to change the number of decimal points. It appears to be a problem within the Excel program.

@Brian_Ashley