Filtering cell range/table based on selected value in a drop-down list

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a range of cells/table in excel that I would like to filter based on a selected value (from a drop down list that is not a part of the table).

So, it is like filtering multiple columns at the same time based on a "key". How can this be made?
More specific, I want to show only cells in the table that start with the selected key color.

To give an example, it is like having monthly calendar with sport activities in excel, and I want to see only days were I do a certain sport (for example swim, where I have chosen swim to have blue color)). Cells with swim activity all have blue color, but the text may vary. 

1 Reply

@silvana70

The FILTER function will enable doing what you're asking about. Not sure that you can do it based on color, but if the color itself is a result of conditional formatting (and if it isn't, it should be), then just use the basis for that conditional formatting.

Here's a link to a site that explains FILTER.

Here's a video that helps understand FILTER along with a few other "dynamic array" functions.

If you want more help, perhaps you'd be willing to post a copy of your workbook on OneDrive or GoogleDrive with a link here that grants access.