File PERSONAL.XLSB in custom startup folder not opened while Excel starting up

Copper Contributor

About a month ago I realized that my excel file PERSONAL.XLSB in my custom startup folder not opened while Excel starting up, I checked and searched on web but have no idea to solve it. Today I try to rename the file and now it works as my expect. Maybe the new Excel version sets up another PERSONAL.XLSB in some path, it conflicts with my old PERSONAL.XLSB and block it to start up. BTW, why there is General tab under Advanced while there is another General at top level?

微信图片_20230308135044.png

1 Reply

@Xiaobin_Huang 

There are probably two PERSONAL files in the startup folder.

Probably once as an Excel workbook with macros

and once as an Excel binary workbook...is just a guess.

If you move or rename both or one of the existing files and restart Excel, the problem should be resolved.

As for the name designation, the designation General does not appear twice at the same level. In the main level, the designation refers to the workbook and in the advanced area, the general refers to the general of the advance.

You could possibly formulate the designation differently in the Advanced area (e.g. Generally or common), but think that Microsoft also thought about it and used this designation. I can imagine that there is a lot to be said for it, such as simplicity, shortness of word, user perception, etc.), however you can also submit this as a proposal to Microsoft.

I hope that I have helped you a bit with this information.