Excel sum precente

Copper Contributor

Using =SUM(A1:A2) to add 2 cells including precentage figure such as 0.61% and -0.31% 

I get the value 0.00% .

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, ilan

5 Replies

@ibauminger 

Could you attach a small sample workbook demonstrating the problem (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar?

@ibauminger 

I agree with @Hans Vogelaar :  it would be best to attach an Excel file or provide a link to an Excel file that demonstrates the problem.

But we might guess that what appears to be 0.61% and -0.31% are text, not numeric values.

Looks can be deceiving, and the format of the cell does not matter.  Use formulas of the form =ISTEXT(A1) to confirm my suspicion.

As for "why?", we might not even be able to determine that by looking at an Excel file.

The most likely reason might be:  you should write 0,61% and -0,31%.  In other words, your system configuration requires a comma for the decimal point, not a period.

But there might be a myriad of other reasons.  For example, there might be errant characters in the cell, especially if you copy-and-pasted from webpage.

@Joe User MANY THANKS!

I UNDERSTAND THE ERROR, and know how to fix it cell by cell.

Still did not get how to force a group of cells to convert from text (or anything) to %.

THANKS AGAIN, ilan

@ibauminger 

Select a column with such values.

On the Data tab of the ribbon, click Text to Columns.

Click Delimited, then click Finish.

Does that help?

YES!!!
THANK YOU!!!