SOLVED

Excel "Email Insights" not showing any data

Copper Contributor

We're currently experiancing problems with the Excel templetes, particularly the "Email Insights" template. On my computer I'm able to log in but no data is shown. On other computers, people aren't able to log in. 

Can somebody help me out with this?

Systems: Windows 10 + O365

17 Replies

Hi Jimmy,

Never heard about this template, tried it right now and it works. Something to clarify

1) Do you use Exchange Online (Office365 mail) or on-premises one

2) Did you follow literally to login instructions (connect with Exchange account using your O365 username, etc.)

3) If in Ribbon Data menu select Show Queries do you see any errors new queries name (other words they are refreshed in your case or not)

Hello Sergei,

This is the template I'm talking about.

1. Yes, we use Exchange online in combination with O365.
  2. The credentials are correct. I use the same credenials for all other online MS services.
  3. These are the only queries I see. But nothing changes no mather what I do.

Jimmy, does autodiscovery works for your tenant? Other words, for example, if you use Outlook 2016 are there any problems with connecting it to Exchange Online?

Sergei,

No, no connection problems whatsoever. Works perfect.

Have no idea so far. You may try to connect Exchange from new workbook to be sure connection itself works or not. That's couple of minutes job, how to connect is here https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Connect-to-Exchange-Power-Query-33538dbe-04bc-4d62-8560-20f...

Okay, that didn't work either.

Unable to connect.PNG

When strange how you connected Outlook 2016 to Exchange Online. It could work if you use eralier version (Outlook 2013) or IMAP or POP3/SMTP

Thanks for your reply, but I'm affraid downgrading to Excel 2013 is no option.
I need a different solution.

No need to downgrade Excel, we may forget about it for a while. Question is how do your work with Outlook 2016, this client could be connected if only Autodiscover works (or using one of legacy protocols).

I allready tried to connect from an other workstation, but I had the same issue.

Yes, if autodiscover doesn't work you won't be able to connect from any computer. That's the question to your tenant admin to check how DNS records are configured. You may play with this https://www.testconnectivity.microsoft.com/?testid=o365easautodiscover test, perhaps it gives you some more information.

Sergei,

Autodiscover works. I'm sure of that because when I configured my mail account on the other computer, I didn't had to do anything. Everything was pre-entered.

Jimmy, however your previous screenshot shows it doesn't work. Mail connectivity is not very reliable indicator - you may have access to Exchange with one mail client and no access for another one (i mean different types and versions of mail client applications, not same version of the application installed on different computers).

Better to check with test in previous message

Sergei,

As far as I can tell, Autodiscover seems to be working.

https://ibb.co/m0daBQ

https://ibb.co/hDr6J5

Jimmy, not all steps passed, but anyway, i have no idea what is the internal mechanism of the exchange connector in Get&Transform and how exactly it works with autodiscover.

IMHO, that could be two variants

1) Exchange connector doesn't work properly in your concrete build version of Excel 2016

2) Something is wrong with Exchange/Domain configuration for your tenant, i.e. the problem is outside the Excel

You may check first if try to connect your mailbox from Power BI Desktop, same way as for Excel. If you have not installed Power BI Desktop to download and install it that's few minutes job and it's free.

If connection works with Power BI Desktop when re-install or update Excel. If not, when second option. People had simular issues, e.g. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9cb3d222-c285-42d5-a003-dffae9b7c7a8/autodiscover-... (with on-premises Exchange in this concrete case, but in general that's not a critical difference for that issue). When perhaps it's worth to repeat your question on TechNet forum.

I still think that's not an Excel issue, or not only Excel.

Sergei,

Sinds is not working with Power BI desktop either I guess I will forward this question to the Microsoft technet forum to see if they can help me out with this.

Thanks for your help with this!
Jimmy

best response confirmed by Jimmy Lelièvre (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Jimmy,

Yes, it looks like that's not specific Excel problem. In addition to TechNet you may publish on answers.microsoft.com (that's kind of Microsoft support) and on community.powerbi.com. Better on all of them, more chances you'll find someone who know both tenant configuration and how Exchnage connector for Power Query.

Good luck 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jimmy Lelièvre (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi Jimmy,

Yes, it looks like that's not specific Excel problem. In addition to TechNet you may publish on answers.microsoft.com (that's kind of Microsoft support) and on community.powerbi.com. Better on all of them, more chances you'll find someone who know both tenant configuration and how Exchnage connector for Power Query.

Good luck 

View solution in original post