Excel blacks out and shows gold gridlines and then closes.

Copper Contributor

The Excel files work fine on my host computer but does not work when using my home pc via gotomypc.com

I can open the files and look at them and add to them but when I use the page layout the screen goes back with gold gridlines and shuts Excel down.

1 Reply

@csmithsamlingusacom 

If I may recommend in advance, if you need an answer to your concerns, please include as much detailed information about the digital environment as possible.

Information such as Excel version, operating system, storage medium.

If possible also photos (or file, without sensitive data) with the possible error message.

Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

This way you could get a more accurate and faster solution and the others don't need to guess. Nonetheless, here are some troubleshooting approaches you can try:

1. Check the graphics driver: Ensure that your graphics driver is up to date on the host computer and the home PC. You can check this by going to the device manager and looking for any yellow exclamation marks on the display adapter.
  2. Disable hardware graphics acceleration: In Excel, go to File > Options > Advanced and scroll down to the Display section. Check the box for "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" and click OK.
  3. Change the remote desktop settings: On the host computer, go to Control Panel > System and Security > System > Remote Settings and check the box for "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)" under the Remote Desktop section. Then, try connecting to Excel again from your home PC.
  4. Try a different remote desktop software: If the issue persists, try using a different remote desktop software to see if the problem is specific to gotomypc.com.
  5. Contact gotomypc.com support: If none of the above steps work, contact gotomypc.com support for further assistance. They may be able to help you troubleshoot the issue or provide a solution.