Excel 365 (version 2307&higher) crashes when refreshing pivot tables (more pivot tables at once)

Copper Contributor

Dear all,

I am currently experiencing the following problem in Excel 365 version 2308 with pivot tables (on MSAS connections):

Excel always crashes if I'm refreshing data for all connections for more pivot tables at once - especially when I have 2 pivot tables with the same connection on 1 sheet . This happens always :o(.

Excel will NOT crash under any of the following situation,

1. I have to change some filter on each! pivot table (without refreshing);

2. After that I can refresh pivot tables.

I must do the same after opening Excel file next time.

I have tested it on multiple machines and the symptoms are consistent over all the machines with Excel 365 version 2307&higher.

Stable workarround is NEXT:

1. I must have PC with lower version of Excel (I have old notebook with Excel 365 version 1808 at home).

2. Change connections to local PC with local MSAS (I have no connection to original MSAS from local PC).

3. Open file & refresh all connections.

4. Save & copy to PC with Excel 365 version 2308

5. Open file & change connections to original MSAS

6. After that refresh works fine.

Now this file will work in Excel 365 version 2308.

Can you kindly advise if anything can be done to this issue? - I have many Excel files on version 2308.

Thank you in advance.

5 Replies
I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this issue with Excel 365 version 2308. It seems like a complex problem that might be related to the specific version of
Excel and the way it handles refreshing data for multiple pivot tables at once.

Based on the information you provided, you’ve already tried a number of troubleshooting steps and found a workaround that involves using an older version of Excel. While this workaround is effective,
I understand that it’s not an ideal solution.

Here are a few additional suggestions you might consider:

Excel Safe Mode: Try opening Excel in Safe Mode. This starts Excel without any add-ins or extensions, which can sometimes cause problems.

Update Excel: Make sure your Excel application is up-to-date. Microsoft frequently releases updates that can fix bugs and improve performance.

@suraj786 

Thanks for your advice, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Excel in SafeMode also crashes.

I tried this on multiple Excel versions (2307, 2308 & 2309)

@Jindra_Kubec 

here are a few additional suggestions you might consider:

Check for Add-ins: Some add-ins can cause problems with Excel. Go to File > Options > Add-Ins. At the bottom of the dialog box, change the Manage dropdown to COM add-ins, and select Go. Clear the checkbox for any enabled COM add-ins.

Repair Excel: You could try repairing your Excel installation.

Click Start, in the search box type Run. In the Run box, type appwiz.cpl and click OK. Select Microsoft Office 365, click Change>Online Repair>Repair

I tried all your suggestions. excel crashes even on a new PC with new instalation of Excel 365 version 2307 & higher.
This problem comes with Excel 365 version 2307 - Pivot table overlaping
... for old Excel files (pivot tables were created in Excel 2010/2013)

The problem was solved with build 2401 of Excel 365/2021.

The problem was caused by adding/renaming dimension attributes in OLAP :o(

In previous builds we needed to delete all attribute changes to "solve" the problem with crashing Excel during refreshing pivot tables.