SOLVED

Creating a Fantasy Calendar

Copper Contributor
I am working on a story based in a fantasy world and want to make a calendar for it in Excel (there is time travel and different eras in the world so I think having the months/days/years would be great for continuity). I am looking for a way to either create a new “date()” function or a simpler way to make the calendar than having to type out each month/week and copy paste till I get 10 years down the calendar. I most commonly use Excel on Mac, but I can get access to a Windows version if that makes it easier. I appreciate any advice that anyone can give me!
27 Replies
I have very little knowledge of commands in Excel, so I wouldn’t know how to make that from scratch. But if you could help me with the commands I would need, or know of a YouTube video or similar tutorial that could show me all of the different pieces I need to put that together, I could work at it.
Sry from the context I thought you had a template already (e.g from the web or something) that you wanted to adapt.
I'm still confused what the spreadsheet will be used for. Is this just a tool for you to create a consistent date in the alternate calendar or to see year's of this alternate calendar? In one case you talked about needing a function that can tell you # days between 2 dates and another location you want to see a 14 month planner based on a year. Is any format for this ok? Do you really need all 14 months of a single year or would it be more useful to have the month of a starting date and the month of the end date and # days between? Really hard to guess what you are looking for when we don't know what for/ how you're are planning to use it.
My ideal outcome would be a calendar that shows all of the months of a year, with the days, and being able to type in a year to change that view. Basically, a function that can keep the numbers of a day (like Excels built in numbering system) and spit out a view that would look similar to the Julian calendar, but the fantasy world calendar. Similar to @mathetes idea.

The story I’m writing is one of a series of stories. The current story has time travel over 200 years, and some dates being referenced, so it would be nice to “realistically” bridge that gap of time, instead of just guessing the dates. Also, a later story focuses specifically on one week way later in the future from the first story. Because of that distance, and because I want to keep day, month, and year continuity, I’d like to see each year laid out by months with the months showing days, much like a 12-month calendar of ours would have. But the fantasy world 14 month calendar. Basically, a micro-macro view.

Does that make sense? Or does it seem like I’m running in circles? Thanks!
best response confirmed by ChristianHauer (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ChristianHauer see if the attached does everything you want.  I locked the sheet except the 2 green cells where you enter the start & end dates but there is no password if you want to unlock it.

@mtarler 

Great job! I was still in the earliest stages; would have taken a few more days...

@ChristianHauer I'm going to assume this meets your every need unless you come back looking for more.

Yes! This looks fantastic! Thank you! And thank you to @mathetes for helping too! I’ve appreciated both of you guys’ help and interest in this project!
Let us know when the book comes out.
You're welcome and best of luck