SOLVED

Copy values

Copper Contributor

I like to copy values from one cell into another in Excel for Android on my tablet, but fail. 

Cannot find information on the internet

Thks

Walter

6 Replies

@Walter_4719 

I like to copy values from one cell into another in Excel for Android on my tablet, but fail. 

Cannot find information on the internet

The word "copy" in the context of Excel is a bit ambiguous. There's what is commonly referred to as Copy and Paste. I assume that's NOT what you're talking about. Then there are various methods via formulas or functions that can be used to get values from a cell, say A1 to, perhaps, Z1. 

So what do you mean--put it into different words, with as much detail as you can--and what have you tried? 

Hi

I would like to "copy" ( in Excel for Android) following f.i.

=C15 +(0,12*K49)  F.i. from cell C2 to D5

Tks/rgds

Walter

best response confirmed by Walter_4719 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Walter_4719 

You still are incredibly brief in your descriptions. And what's with "f.i."? I Googled the term--are you using it to mean "for instance"? What happened to "e.g." which for years has been the abbreviation of "for example"? (And no, "i.e." does not mean "for example"'; it means "that is" or "in other words.")

So are you wanting to copy the formula exactly as it appears so that it looks exactly the same in the destination cell? Or are you wanting the cell references to change? I'm suspecting that the fact that it's Excel for Android is just a distraction. Your issue has to do, I suspect, with absolute and relative references.

It may be--although I'm forced by by the brevity of your descriptions to draw some inferences--that what you need to adapt are some absolute references, or a combination of absolute and relative references. 

If, for example, you copy

=C15 +(0.12*K49)

from cell C2 to D5, it will become

=D18+(0.12*L52)

But if you copy

=$C$15+(0.12*$K$49)  then it will copy over unchanged. Those $ dollar signs change the references from relative to absolute.

And there are several variations on that combination of relative and absolute. If, e.g., your C2 cell contains =$C15+(0.12*K$49) and you copy it to D5, it then becomes =$C18+(0.12*L$49)

You can read up on absolute and relative references in most Excel documentation. Here's one such resource. 

And for all those reading over our shoulders and wondering about "e.g." and "i.e." here's a resource that clarifies those.

Clear, many thanks.
And forgive me my faults making, in not my mother language. I am 76 years old and less skilled than many people today.
Walter

@Walter_4719 

You are forgiven, Walter. May I ask: was it a matter of absolute and relative references? Had I guessed correctly?

You seem to handle the language quite well, albeit in few words. So please forgive me my impatience. By the way, I'm six years older than you-- turned 82 a couple of months ago--and still enjoy learning things like Excel.

Hi,
I was looking for an absolute copy, so you were right. I used to be very comfortable with Excel (web) during my "working live", but now, retiree with a tablet, Excel is quite different with Android.
Many thanks again and I wish you a healthy 2024
Rgds
Walter
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Walter_4719 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Walter_4719 

You still are incredibly brief in your descriptions. And what's with "f.i."? I Googled the term--are you using it to mean "for instance"? What happened to "e.g." which for years has been the abbreviation of "for example"? (And no, "i.e." does not mean "for example"'; it means "that is" or "in other words.")

So are you wanting to copy the formula exactly as it appears so that it looks exactly the same in the destination cell? Or are you wanting the cell references to change? I'm suspecting that the fact that it's Excel for Android is just a distraction. Your issue has to do, I suspect, with absolute and relative references.

It may be--although I'm forced by by the brevity of your descriptions to draw some inferences--that what you need to adapt are some absolute references, or a combination of absolute and relative references. 

If, for example, you copy

=C15 +(0.12*K49)

from cell C2 to D5, it will become

=D18+(0.12*L52)

But if you copy

=$C$15+(0.12*$K$49)  then it will copy over unchanged. Those $ dollar signs change the references from relative to absolute.

And there are several variations on that combination of relative and absolute. If, e.g., your C2 cell contains =$C15+(0.12*K$49) and you copy it to D5, it then becomes =$C18+(0.12*L$49)

You can read up on absolute and relative references in most Excel documentation. Here's one such resource. 

And for all those reading over our shoulders and wondering about "e.g." and "i.e." here's a resource that clarifies those.

View solution in original post