Conditional formatting across sheets

Copper Contributor

Hi! I'm trying to persuade excel in Office 365 to do some conditional formatting using two sheets but struggling to find out how. I'd be grateful for any advice!

I have 2 sets of sheets, A,B,C and X,Y,Z,  All of the sheets contain lists of words; sheets A, B and C have additional columns with numerical data in. 

I want excel to check the list of the words in sheet A against those in sheet X: where  a word from sheet A appears on sheet X (anywhere on the list), I'd like it to put an X in next to the word in sheet A, in a new column. Then I need to set it to go through the same process for sheets Y and Z. Then I need to check sheets B and C in the same way. 

It seems like it should be possible - but I just don't know how!!

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply

@Lindsey540 

It's hard to get an accurate picture (at least, to be sure it's accurate) from just a verbal description. Remember the old saw about a picture being worth....

So would it be possible for you to upload and post a representative sample of what you're trying to describe? The actual (rather than just an image) would save us from guessing and from having to re-create.

I'm sure there'll be many who'll be happy to help.