57111SHAHDPULIDO,TWorld Geo9
57111SHAHDRIVERA,SAquaSci9
57111SHAHDPYLES,AEng IV9
57111SHAHDTHOMAS,AChem I9
57111SHAHDZHU,WChinese II10
57111SHAHDOZMENT,JUS Govt11
57111SHAHDLACOUR,JAlgReason11

To this...

IDNAMETeacherClassTotalTeacherClassTotalTeacherClassTotalTeacherClassTotalTeacherClassTotalTeacherClassTotalTeacherClassTotal
12345ESTHERARDOIN,RAVID III11SARZYNSKI,Geometry12               
73214RACHAELSOWELLS,JReading I AL9                  
18834CHIEMEZIEHOLCOMB,HHealth13NESBITAlgebraII AAC13MCGEE,AEng II AAC13LI,MChem AAC13LAU,BSpanish II13MCGEE,TWorld HistoryAP13HAASE,PSoccer 2 YR B13
26997RAAKINOZMENT,JUS Govt9DAVIS,AArt I9HERTEL,NENG IV D SM29            
57111SHAHDPULIDO,TWorld Geo9RIVERA,SAquaSci9PYLES,AEng IV9THOMAS,AChem I9ZHU,WChinese II10OZMENT,JUS Govt11LACOUR,JAlgReason11

The spreadsheet has 778 rows and I would love to find a quicker way to move like data to 1 row so I can do a mail merge

7 Replies
best response confirmed by mathetes (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Tamra_Raleylostinexce Based on the sample data provided, and if you're using Excel for MS365, the following dynamic array formula should do the trick:

=LET(
    head, A1:E1, data, A2:E1000,
    id, TAKE(data,, 1),
    fData, FILTER(data, id<>""),
    students, SORT(UNIQUE(TAKE(fData,, 2))),
    keyId, TAKE(students,, 1),
    recordCount, COUNTIF(id, keyId),
    maxCount, MAX(recordCount),
    newRows, maxCount-recordCount,
    pvtHead, HSTACK(TAKE(head,, 2), TOROW(IF(SEQUENCE(maxCount), DROP(head,, 2)))),
    pvtData, HSTACK(students, WRAPROWS(TOCOL(DROP(SORT(VSTACK(fData, EXPAND(TOCOL(IFS(newRows>=SEQUENCE(, maxCount), keyId), 2),, 5, ""))),, 2)), maxCount*3)),
    VSTACK(pvtHead, pvtData)
)

Please see the attached sample workbook...

@djclements 

This worked perfect until I realized it last 4 columns didn't show up.

This is an example of what showed up for the student below:

18834CHIEMEZIEHOLCOMB,HHealth13NESBIT,JAlgebraII AAC13MCGEE,AEng II AAC13LI,MChem AAC13LAU,BSpanish II13MCGEE,TWorld HistoryAP

Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Oh goodness, never mind..it was my error!!
You are amazing and saved me so much time.
THANK YOU

@Tamra_Raleylostinexce I was just about to say that I wouldn't know for sure what went wrong without taking a look at your workbook. Glad to hear you figured it out... Cheers! :)

Ok, it's me again. I just realized I am needing to add another column. Column F will be titled "HOURS"
I have tried to manipulate your formula but seem to be a little off. Can you please help

@Tamra_Raleylostinexce In the second to last line (pvtData definition), where the EXPAND function is used, change the number of columns from 5 to 6. Also on the same line, change the wrap_count for the WRAPROWS function (the last argument at the far right) from maxCount*3 to maxCount*4:

=LET(
    head, A1:F1, data, A2:F1000,
    pvtData, HSTACK(students, WRAPROWS(TOCOL(DROP(SORT(VSTACK(fData, EXPAND(TOCOL(IFS(newRows>=SEQUENCE(, maxCount), keyId), 2),, 6, ""))),, 2)), maxCount*4)),
)

We could also add a few more variables to make the number of columns a little more dynamic...

=LET(
    head, A1:F1, data, A2:F1000,
    cols, COLUMNS(data),
    keyCols, 2,
    pvtCols, cols-keyCols,
    id, TAKE(data,, 1),
    students, SORT(UNIQUE(TAKE(fData,, keyCols))),
    pvtHead, HSTACK(TAKE(head,, keyCols), TOROW(IF(SEQUENCE(maxCount), DROP(head,, keyCols)))),
    pvtData, HSTACK(students, WRAPROWS(TOCOL(DROP(SORT(VSTACK(fData, EXPAND(TOCOL(IFS(newRows>=SEQUENCE(, maxCount), keyId), 2),, cols, ""))),, keyCols)), maxCount*pvtCols)),
    VSTACK(pvtHead, pvtData)
)

keyCols is referring to the first 2 columns containing the student ID and Name, and pvtCols is the remaining number of columns to be transformed and output to a single row for each student. Adjust the head and data ranges to meet your needs.

Basically, a bunch of blank rows are being inserted into the data range for each student, based on the student with the most records. For example, student 18834 and 57111 both have the most records (7 each), so no blank rows are inserted for them. However, student 73214 only has 1 record, so 6 blank rows are added. Likewise, student 12345 has 2 records (5 blank rows added), and student 26997 has 3 records (4 blank rows added). This is to make sure each student contains the same number of records. TOCOL then sends the "padded" data to a single column and WRAPROWS transforms the data into the correct number of rows and columns. The VSTACK and HSTACK functions are used to add the headers and key columns (unique list of student IDs and Names), generating the final output.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

@djclements this is great. Really appreciate you breaking it down for me. Excel is amazing and I’d love to learn more about it someday. 
Thank you again for your help and quick responses. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mathetes (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Tamra_Raleylostinexce Based on the sample data provided, and if you're using Excel for MS365, the following dynamic array formula should do the trick:

=LET(
    head, A1:E1, data, A2:E1000,
    id, TAKE(data,, 1),
    students, SORT(UNIQUE(TAKE(fData,, 2))),
    pvtHead, HSTACK(TAKE(head,, 2), TOROW(IF(SEQUENCE(maxCount), DROP(head,, 2)))),
    pvtData, HSTACK(students, WRAPROWS(TOCOL(DROP(SORT(VSTACK(fData, EXPAND(TOCOL(IFS(newRows>=SEQUENCE(, maxCount), keyId), 2),, 5, ""))),, 2)), maxCount*3)),
    VSTACK(pvtHead, pvtData)
)

Please see the attached sample workbook...

View solution in original post