SOLVED

Column Graph which excludes blank values

Copper Contributor

Hi - hoping to get some help.

I have some data which relates to ratings of inadequate, requires improvement, good and outstanding for different areas.

I would like to put this into a column graph, where the ratings are a different size, so I have created an additional column which contains numbers 1-4 (1 = inadequate and 4 = outstanding).

I have created a pivot chart, however, because there are four series, the blank ones for each area as still represented in the graph which makes the columns too narrow.

Is there a way around this, or a different way of doing it?

See screenshots below:

Screenshot 2024-01-30 171058.pngScreenshot 2024-01-30 171142.png

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Evergreen2023 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Evergreen2023 

Column charts allow you to set a 100% overlap which will sort the spacing.  100% for the gaps might also be appropriate.  You may also be able to choose a stacked chart, but one in which 3 series return 0.  I am not that keen of Pivot tables; It often seems that the time saved building it is lost in formatting and forgetting to refresh it.

A bar chart is another possibility and has the benefit of being more compact for this type of data.

image.png

Thanks Peter - I'd figured it out and used the 100% overlap solution.

I also added a couple of other rows to the table for the date and the year - now battling with trying to get scroll bars and sliders to work!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Evergreen2023 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Evergreen2023 

Column charts allow you to set a 100% overlap which will sort the spacing.  100% for the gaps might also be appropriate.  You may also be able to choose a stacked chart, but one in which 3 series return 0.  I am not that keen of Pivot tables; It often seems that the time saved building it is lost in formatting and forgetting to refresh it.

A bar chart is another possibility and has the benefit of being more compact for this type of data.

image.png

View solution in original post