SOLVED

checkboxes

Copper Contributor

Hi all. Could you please let me know how I get the "Cell Controls-Checkbox" tab on my ribbon. I have searched the "Customize Ribbon" and can't find it there. Am I doing something wrong or is it not available on the Microsoft 365 family subscription

6 Replies

@PeterJ1965 

In Microsoft Excel, checkboxes and other form controls are part of the "Developer" tab, which might not be visible by default. To enable the "Developer" tab and insert checkboxes are consistent across recent versions of Excel, including those available with Microsoft 365 subscriptions and standalone versions such as Excel 2016, 2019, and Excel 2021.

Here's how you can enable the "Developer" tab to access checkboxes and other cell controls:

Step-by-Step Guide to Enable the Developer Tab

1. Open Excel:
    • Start Excel and open a workbook.
  2. Go to File > Options:
    • Click on the "File" tab in the upper-left corner.
    • Select "Options" from the menu to open the Excel Options dialog box.
  3. Customize Ribbon:
    • In the Excel Options dialog box, click on "Customize Ribbon" in the left pane.
  4. Enable Developer Tab:
    • In the right pane, you will see a list of main tabs. Check the box next to "Developer".
    • Click "OK" to save your changes and close the Excel Options dialog box.

Adding a Checkbox

Once the "Developer" tab is visible on the ribbon, you can add checkboxes to your worksheet:

1. Go to the Developer Tab:
    • Click on the "Developer" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Insert Checkbox:
    • Click on the "Insert" button in the "Controls" group.
    • In the dropdown menu, under "Form Controls", select the "Checkbox" option.
  3. Draw the Checkbox:
    • Click on the worksheet where you want to place the checkbox and drag to draw the checkbox.

Using Checkboxes

After inserting checkboxes, you can link them to cells and use them in your Excel formulas:

1. Link Checkbox to a Cell:
    • Right-click on the checkbox and select "Format Control".
    • In the "Control" tab, set the "Cell link" to the cell where you want the checkbox value (TRUE or FALSE) to be displayed.
    • Click "OK".

Summary

To enable and use checkboxes in Excel, you need to add the "Developer" tab to your ribbon through the Excel Options. Once enabled, you can insert and manage checkboxes and other form controls directly from the "Developer" tab. This feature is available in the Microsoft 365 Family subscription as well as other versions of Excel.

If you follow these steps and still cannot find the "Developer" tab or the checkbox control, ensure that your Excel installation is up-to-date. The text and the steps are created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

Hi NikolinoDE. I am aware of the checkboxes within the developer tab (I have this setup already thanks). I have been watching online videos where within the INSERT tab there is a CELL CONTROL folder and within it is the CHECKBOX. Utilising these checkboxes allows you to select multiple cells and add Checkboxes. They can be easily set up and formatted. Regards Peter
best response confirmed by PeterJ1965 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@PeterJ1965 

These in-cell check boxes are currently being beta-tested. They are only available to Microsoft 365 Insiders on the Beta Channel. We don't know yet when they will be released to 'ordinary' users on the Current Channel.

Hi Hans and Niko, thanks very much for your help. No wonder I couldn't find them.
Regards
Peter
Thank you so much for the help.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PeterJ1965 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@PeterJ1965 

These in-cell check boxes are currently being beta-tested. They are only available to Microsoft 365 Insiders on the Beta Channel. We don't know yet when they will be released to 'ordinary' users on the Current Channel.

View solution in original post