Checkbox Help: Add Checkbox to Each Line & Use Check Box to Modify Multiple Cells

Copper Contributor

Hello All,

I'm relatively new to Excel and have tried to properly phrase what I need in a Google search, but can't quite find what I'm looking for.

1. I am looking for a way that as the user adds content to any cell in a new row, a checkbox will appear centered. If that checkmark is selected, that same cell the checkbox is in will also turn green. I also don't want to make it mandatory that the user must select the checkbox. I want it to remain optional.

In my example 1 image, the red box shows what I would like to happen based on selection. Selected, it makes the box green. Unselected, no color changes. The blue box shows that if a user skips a row, no checkbox is there, but if they start typing, it appears. I feel the blue box area is not possible in excel, but any other option rather than just creating a code and then inserting into every cell is better than constantly breaking my sheet and Excel.

2. Also unsure if this is possible, but I'd like to add a checkbox that will mark only certain columns that have only certain inputs as complete. Please see example 2 for what I mean. When the left-most "Completed?" checkmark is selected, it will only affect certain fields. For instance, Material field will remain untouched no matter what. However, each of the Stage fields (Created, Certified, etc.) will change if something other than "N/A" is inputted to "Complete". Sorry if this is a bit overcomplicated or not even possible in Excel, but any help is GREATLY appreciated!

EDIT: Also, in example two, you'll notice the checkmarked row affected another checkmark to the right, essentially automatically completing question 1 of my issue. Not even sure if a checkmark can affect another checkmark.

1 Reply

@EliasGuzman 

Another person recently asked about checkboxes....and was told by another of the resident experts, not I, that maintaining checkboxes is very difficult. The suggestion then--which I'll repeat here--was to use data validation to accept a simple "Y" or "N" instead of the admittedly sexier checkbox, but a method that is o more complicated for the user and far more robust and readily maintained.

That said, is it possible for you to post a working spreadsheet rather than images? It appears you can attach files, but if not possible here, you can post on OneDrive or GoogleDrive, with a link pasted here that grants access. Then one of us familiar with conditional formatting can show how it would work.