SOLVED

automatic date

Copper Contributor

Hey lovely people,

i have tried this for a couple of hours and don't seem to get the right result even from the web

i have a table in A2 i have a dropdown menu with names, i would like to automatically add today's date each time i use to b2 once i add the name in A2

i tried this but it keeps coming back with the message we all get when the formula is wrong 

=IF(ISBLANK(A2), "", IFERROR(IF(OR(A2="CINCO", A2="Greenhouse", A2="Salty Autumn"), TODAY(), ""), ""))

any help welcome

cheers

1 Reply
best response confirmed by appletonthecat (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@appletonthecat 

It seems like you want to automatically add today's date in cell B2 when a name is selected from the dropdown menu in cell A2. If that's the case, you can use the following formula in cell B2:

=IF(ISBLANK(A2), "", IFERROR(IF(OR(A2="CINCO", A2="Greenhouse", A2="Salty Autumn"), TODAY(), ""), ""))

This formula checks if cell A2 is not blank. If it's not blank and the name in A2 is either "CINCO," "Greenhouse," or "Salty Autumn," it returns today's date; otherwise, it returns an empty string.

The formula you provided looks correct for achieving this functionality. However, if you're still encountering issues, make sure that:

1. The dropdown menu in cell A2 is working correctly, and the selected names match the conditions in your formula.
  2. There are no extra spaces or characters in the names in cell A2.
  3. The cell format in B2 is set to display dates correctly.

If you're still having trouble, please provide more details about the issue you're facing or any specific error messages you're receiving. The text was revised with the AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by appletonthecat (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@appletonthecat 

It seems like you want to automatically add today's date in cell B2 when a name is selected from the dropdown menu in cell A2. If that's the case, you can use the following formula in cell B2:

This formula checks if cell A2 is not blank. If it's not blank and the name in A2 is either "CINCO," "Greenhouse," or "Salty Autumn," it returns today's date; otherwise, it returns an empty string.

The formula you provided looks correct for achieving this functionality. However, if you're still encountering issues, make sure that:

1. The dropdown menu in cell A2 is working correctly, and the selected names match the conditions in your formula.
  2. There are no extra spaces or characters in the names in cell A2.
  3. The cell format in B2 is set to display dates correctly.

If you're still having trouble, please provide more details about the issue you're facing or any specific error messages you're receiving. The text was revised with the AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

View solution in original post