AutoFill Data (dependant on input, sourced from another sheet)

Copper Contributor

I have mediocre knowledge about Excel, and not sure if this is possible – any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have 2 sheets in my xlsx file. Sheet one contains data about individuals, let’s pretend:

Sheet 1: Name, age, m/f etc…

Sheet 1 contains data that will not necessarily change, for all of the individuals that I will keep data for. This is full and complete.

On another spreadsheet (2) I will narrow down individuals to perhaps discuss in a meeting, including for example:

Name, age, notes….

On sheet two, I used a drop down list to select the name of the individual I want to add to the list – this is populated from sheet 1 (data validation, list, source =name).

My question: on sheet 2, how do I get the age, for example, to pre populate based on the information I hold for that individual in sheet 1. So, if I choose ‘Bob’ from the dropdown list, I want Bob’s age, gender etc to pre populate in sheet 2.

Can it be done…?

1 Reply
you could use VLOOKUP function and/or alternatively a combination of INDEX and MATCH Function, just to populate the necessary data of the picked individual

if you will update or change the data of the picked individual using your sheet 2, this requires some VBA in order to achieve this.