Auto HIDE ROWS based on 2 cells

Copper Contributor

Hi Community;

I have an Excel Sheet for inventory with a column indicating status: 'A' = active, 'IN' = inactive units.

I would like to hide/ unhide individual rows based on their status and a drop down list in cell B2 'SHOW' or 'HIDE'.

I have seen many post about selecting specific cells, but not a dynamic range based on the show hide value and a column value in the row as in my description above.

How to accomplish this, especially when rows are added for new inventory?

Jshannon1755_0-1691427435046.png

Cell B2 drop down list SHOW or HIDE inactive units.
Column B is the status A or IN
Rows 4 - infinity are the individual inventory items
There are rows at the top (Row 1,-2) and bottom (Row 44-48) of the sheet which should not be included in the HIDE / UNHIDE Range, containing text labels and instructions.

Currently, Rows 4-42 are populated with inventory.
I can place a blank copy/paste row at the bottom (currently row 43) if custom formulas or formatting need to be added to cells in a row in order to accommodate adding a new row to the inventory range.

Any assistance is appreciated. 

1 Reply

To do this you need either VBA (macro) or use scripting. Since VBA isn't supported in online Excel but scripting is supported in both I recommend scripting. Here is a script I created to filter/unfilter (i.e. I have a single button to toggle between filtered or not filtered)

/**
* This script filters table.
*/
function main(workbook: ExcelScript.Workbook) {
//Unlock worksheet
let wksht = workbook.getActiveWorksheet()
wksht.getProtection().unprotect()
//Get table
let tbl = workbook.getTable("Table1")
// Sort the table based on the column.
if ( tbl.getAutoFilter().getIsDataFiltered() ) {
tbl.clearFilters()
} else {
tbl.getColumn(6).getFilter().applyValuesFilter([""]);
}
wksht.getProtection().protect()
}

This will unprotect the sheet (no password), either clear any filters or apply filter to show only "" on column 6, and then re-protect the sheet (no password).
You do need a business or school account to use scripting and it will need a button press (but that is no different than your drop down option and doesn't require a macro always checking on any change on the whole sheet).  I would imagine you might want the button named something like "Toggle Show Active/All" and change the code to column 2 and "A" instead of "".  And don't forget to change the table name from "Table1" if needed.