Auto fill

Copper Contributor

Want to drag down increment by 10 not 1.

5 Replies

@Joeengr 

To fill cells in Excel with an increment of 10 instead of 1, you can use the AutoFill feature with a custom fill series. Here's how you can do it:

1. Type your starting value in a cell (e.g., A1).
  2. In the cell below it (e.g., A2), enter the value 10 more than the starting value (A1 + 10). In this example, it's "=A1+10."
  3. Select both cells (A1 and A2).
  4. Move your cursor to the bottom right corner of the selected cells (you'll see a small square called the "fill handle").
  5. Click and drag the fill handle down for as many cells as you need. Excel will automatically increment by 10 for each cell.

Release the mouse button, and Excel will fill the selected cells with values incremented by 10.

For example, if A1 had the value 10, and you drag the fill handle down, you'll get a sequence in cells A2, A3, A4, and so on, with increments of 10 (20, 30, 40, and so on).

This method allows you to easily create a series of values with a specified increment. The text was created with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and like it!

This will help all forum participants.

@NikolinoDE 

in one cell

=pattern!B2+pattern!B3*2+pattern!B4*4+pattern!B5*8+pattern!B6*16+pattern!B7*32+pattern!B8*64+pattern!B9*128

WANT next row (one down)

=pattern!B12+pattern!B13*2+pattern!B14*4+pattern!B15*8+pattern!B16*16+pattern!B17*32+pattern!B18*64+pattern!B19*128

NOT

=pattern!B3+pattern!B4*2+pattern!B5*4+pattern!B6*8+pattern!B7*16+pattern!B8*32+pattern!B9*64+pattern!B10*128 

@Joeengr 

As someone that finds relative referencing and fill-down to be horrible practices, I have set out to use Excel 365 to return the results as a single array formula.

= LET(
    p, SEQUENCE(8,,0),
    v, DROP(WRAPCOLS(bits, 10), -2) * 2^p,
    TOCOL(BYCOL(v, LAMBDA(v, SUM(v))))
  )

By traditional methods, the key is to build a helper sequence of integers increasing in 10s.

[Note: I have chosen to interpret the formula as conversions from binary to decimal but it may represent something entirely different]

First, I thought there was a pull-down menu where you could put a number for the step size.
I guess it doesn't exist. But, after thinking about it for a minute, it is easy.
You just drag down 10 and delete 9 above the last one. Over and over again until done. Not a VBA solution but fast and no thinking.

Thanks everybody!

@Joeengr 

Yes, that is how I generated the formula described as 'manual'.

Is the workbook converting binary numbers held as arrays to decimal, or was I reading too much into the powers of 2?

Are you using Excel 365?