Apply the same random numbers to the same duplicate entry.

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I need some advice I have used the RandBetween function to assign random numbers to certain samples. These samples are also sorted randomly. I have a duplicate dataset of these enteries that are randomized in order again but I want to assign the same random number I had for the first set. How do I do that?

For example the entry in cell A3 is assigned the value 740. Therefore I want cells in A274,A383,A485 to also have the value 740 listed for their entires as well.

I have highlighted the columns of interest in the attachment below.

1 Reply

Hi Wardah,

I've attached a copy of your workbook that I think solves your problem in 2 ways. You can pick which one is more useful to you.

In your column I I've added a formula that checks the numbers already assigned and returns that number for each of your enteries. This is a done using an index match, but could also have been done with a vlookup. I would recommend goggling either and looking through a tutorial or two.

In column J I have added a formula that will assign numbers for the whole column, which might be useful if you have to repeat this activity again another day.